SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is something for the MD's in SW Pa. I lived in Sewickley about 10 years ago and read a little local history. I found out that there used to be a ferry crossing on the Ohio river less than a mile downstream from the current Sewickley Bridge. This was long before the rivers lock and dam systems were built. I can imagine that there might be some coinage or other objects waiting to be found in that location. I moved away before I ever got a chance to search it. Let me know if anyone finds anything.

Awesome lead. Thank you. My aunt still lives in Coraopolis. Welcome To TreasureNet.

Hey Ron, I just read this and posted it for its own topic...http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,229089.0.html

It's a log house in the same vicinity built right after 1795, near the Emsworth Locks and Dam.

My question about Sewickley.....Ferry Street, off Rt.65 that goes into Buncher Industrial Park...you think this would have been the approximate location of the Ferry? Would this be upriver...the wrong direction?

Ferry street access has been closed off and you have to cross one of the bridges (over the rr tracks)now to get back in the industrial center. It's all very developed now. Not much of a river bank...more a drop to the water.

But there is that boat ramp near the Sewickley bridge and the old water works there.

Also, at Ferry Street intersection, is/was a train station. Some dry cleaner business was in the building last I remember. Old brick paving around the building. I eyeballed it a few times but didn't see much grassy areas anywhere around it.

Too bad you can't hunt in Sewickley. A few years back I remember seeing a monster buck hanging out in a stand of pine trees back at one of those mansions on Beaver Street. Well fed I'm sure in that area.

Some nice old places down in Emsworth...wonder if any good detectin spots there.

Al

If you check around town or in the Sewickley library you can find an old map that shows where the ferry crossing was. I think on the other side of the river going up to Moon was where it docked. You probably would have to go down near the rr tracks. It's been a while since I have been there. Also if any of you collect fossils...That cut hillside right across from the Sewickley bridge is a great place to find them. I have found fossilized horse teeth and ferns and other vegetation fossils. Have fun!

sounds cool i am from that aera but dont live there anymore. was raised in hopewell twp. now i live in eastern pa. another good spot i read about in the treasure mag is a place called glen willard. alot of very old coins been found around there ..so if your near that aera good luck and hope you find some oldies

Glen Willard is between Sewickly and Emsworth...just a small cluster of houses between the RR tracks and the river. Some of those houses look pretty old.

Sounds like someone's been detecting the area.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back