FARM FINDS IN THE SOFT DIRT!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a farm (or what used to be one) where they are tearing down the house & barn, and in 1 hr of hunting, this is what I found. The walker was at 4 inches deep next to the barn doors. The bottle was found in back of the barn, and the rest was found thru-out the yard.. No other coins were found today (which I found strange) but I am going back to see what else I can find this weekend!

HH all,

Lonewolfe

Attachments

• farm 001.jpg
    farm 001.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 717
  • farm 002.jpg
    farm 002.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 714
  • farm 003.jpg
    farm 003.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 709
Upvote 0
Nice find there wolfe. Those farm lands are the best.

There are treasure hunters out there (who never comment on treasure forums) who are finding hundreds of awesome finds in farm lands right here in the U.S. I know a group of THers who are finding hundreds of coins (gold, silver, copper) dating back to the 16th century right in the middle of farm land. They found the place by accident and don't really know why the coins and jewelry are there. I told them I believe they found a site that had one or more big caches buried there. Over the last century the tractor plow distributed the goodies all over the farm.

Hope you find the big pile.

Zeb

Great finds!! I would have been happy to find any one of those relics :) That coin isnt that beat up ;) what is the smelter/dipper? For pouring molten metals?

Nice L_W.

I like The HOWDY Bottle.

Havn't Seen one of Them in SO long, I don't Remember If they Were Orange Or Chocolate, Or What.

JakePhelps said:
Great finds!! I would have been happy to find any one of those relics :)? That coin isnt that beat up ;)? what is the smelter/dipper?? For pouring molten metals?

Yes sir, I believe so, copper has to reach a very high temp. before melting so, they used it a lot in metals work (silver, lead, etc.) with out fear of it melting as they dipped/poured it into molds, etc...

HH

Lonewolfe

It would have had to be used for these metal, they are less than the melting pioint of copper:
Gold (too close to coppers melting point)
Silver(too close to coppers melting point)
Aluminum (too expensive back then)
Lead
Tin

So im guessing it was used for lead and or tin :)
But why not make it out of iron which has an extremely high melting point?
Great find!

Hey LW, beat up or not that Walker had to give you a thrill when you popped it out of the dirt. Nice going.

jeff of pa said:
I like The HOWDY Bottle....I don't Remember If they Were Orange Or Chocolate, Or What.

Orange! Howdy was invented around 1920 by C. L. Grigg, who later invented Seven-Up. In 1936 the Howdy Corporation of St. Louis, MO became the Seven-Up Company.

Ya done good on the farm, lonestar. I'd take that coin in any condition! I found a lid like that at "my" 1860's house. I wasn't sure what it was. Does yours have three holes around the rim of it?

Good luck this weekend.
one-two-three said:
There are treasure hunters out there (who never comment on treasure forums) who are finding hundreds of awesome finds in farm lands right here in the U.S. I know a group of THers who are finding hundreds of coins (gold, silver, copper) dating back to the 16th century right in the middle of farm land. They found the place by accident and don't really know why the coins and jewelry are there. I told them I believe they found a site that had one or more big caches buried there. Over the last century the tractor plow distributed the goodies all over the farm.

Hope you find the big pile.

Zeb

Welcome to the forum, 1-2-3. Tell us more about (without details, of course) the hunt you were describing.

PBK said:
Orange!? Howdy was invented around 1920 by C. L. Grigg, who later invented Seven-Up.? In 1936 the Howdy Corporation of St. Louis, MO became the Seven-Up Company.

Cool, Intresting Info.

I could Have Sworn I drank Howdy, But Apparently It was Something Else With A Close Name.
As I was Born 1955

HOWDY, JEFF!

jeff of pa said:
PBK said:
I could Have Sworn I drank Howdy, But Apparently It was Something Else With A Close Name. As I was Born 1955

You definitely could have downed a Howdy, Jeff! In fact, here's a link to a Howdy bottle from 1969, which seems to be the one that Lonewolfe found:

http://safe.dhwd.com/antiques/catpages/productsod043.html

They changed the name of the company to Seven-Up in 1936, but Howdy continued as their orange soda brand.

Very nice Lonewolfe!!

Nana ;)

Great digs LW!! HH!!Good luck with the rest.

The fact that you found 1 "old" coin means that that site has tons of potential.....Keep on diggin.... :D

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back