farm fields

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I got to thinking about it...why are so many points found in farm fields? it doesn't make sense that just because it is open and ploughed that the area would be heavy with points....if that were the case then I could just dig anywhere and expect points to just pop into my pocket.

Upvote 0
I've searched a few fields that were barren. Then, when I've searched fields that I have found 'em before, I feel like I'm still missing 'em. Fields and logging clear-cuts have always been the most productive way for me to surface hunt for points. I only dig or make test holes when I know for certain I'm in that sweet spot. Most of the time I dig, I feel like I'm wasting time, when I should be covering more area. I guess why fields are the best is b/c the plow has already done the work for you, cleaning off the top layer of soil and exposing points. Same with surface hunting at logging clear-cuts or heavily eroded surfaces; points or flake evidence can be exposed. When I find that evidence in an abundance, that's when I decide to dig sometimes. Most of the time, digging can produce the whole artifacts where I search, but I feel like it can be time consuming. Overall, surface hunting is my favorite method.

Last edited:
Most productive fields are along waterways

Plowed fields, give you clues as were to start. Remember indians almost always camped near a water source. That's how I find the camp sites. I would love to dig in the plowed fields , were I find artifacts but I don't think the nursery were I hunt would like that very well . I think in the future I will try digging them in the woods next to the camp . But I have the problem of were to start.. Outside the camps in other plowed fields I find points,but I may walk forever before finding one single point.. I do my best in the camp sites . In my book the camp sites are the best spots . In and around the known camp is were I will dig some day ! Good luck :thumbsup:

Where I grew up most of the land belongs to farmers so most of the sites are in their fields. And like others stated most of the sites I have hunted are on hills by rivers, lakes, streams, and dry lake beds. I have also had incredible luck walking the small sand beaches on lakes in Iowa. I have hunted other areas where there are patches of dirt including camp grounds, and dirt roads/trails in heavily wooded area. My best luck as always been the farmers fields and most of the sites are completely in the field. I have also wanted to dig in the fields because I know that perfect treasures lie just below the 24 inch deep plow depth! I have permission to dig a field this summer, I got permission by giving the farmer his choice of one artifact that I find. The site has produced beautiful points and I can not wait to see what I find when I get 2.5 feet deep!

Plowed fields, give you clues as were to start. Remember indians almost always camped near a water source. That's how I find the camp sites. I would love to dig in the plowed fields , were I find artifacts but I don't think the nursery were I hunt would like that very well . I think in the future I will try digging them in the woods next to the camp . But I have the problem of were to start.. Outside the camps in other plowed fields I find points,but I may walk forever before finding one single point.. I do my best in the camp sites . In my book the camp sites are the best spots . In and around the known camp is were I will dig some day ! Good luck :thumbsup:

I would go to the wooded area that you want to dig in and I would dig 10-12 or more test holes that are small and 1-2 feet deep and screen the contents. I would dig on the higher ground and record the location of each hole and anything you find in each hole. By doing that you may start to see a pattern of where more artifacts and debitage are located. Then go to town in the richest area.

Eastern Oregon has dry lake beds... The theory is that arrowheads are often found at a distance the arrow would travel when shooting birds from the bank... The lakes dried up making a new bank and another concentration of points the same distance from shore... If you get a chance, read Emory Strong's Books "Stone age on the Columbia" and "The Great Basin"

The most productive fields we have looked in are not along waterways, the closest waterway is about one half mile away from where we find the most artifacts. I know it seems like they would be closer to water, but for us a lot are a long ways from water.

One-half mile is not very far that would make me think the body of water your hunting may have different flood stage heights... Or may have been higher before irrigation to all the farm fields

Dead eye what do you suppose drew them to these spots are there springs there?That is a considerable distance to haul water.You can bet there are areas closer just undetected..

I am talking flowing water, not stagnant swamp water. The naturally flowing water always runs in the lowest area. There are high spots closer to the water, but very few artifacts there compared with away from the water.

I am sure rivers have changed over all those years. And am also sure that even streams have changed their course. Remember we are talking about hundreds of years here. And the fields were not fields then. Forrest, I am sure. Here where we are in southern N.J. it is not easy to find spots that people will let you hunt. And we only surface hunt. The field where we hunt has been cleared for over a hundred years, and the owner who recently passed said that when he was a boy, you could pick them up by the bucketfulls. He said they sold them for 5 cents each. He was 96 when he passed. He also said that because it is very windy there and sandy soil, he is sure they are down at least a foot now.
They put in aspargus and they hill it up very deep, probably 20 inches or so. We sure have not found a bucketful, but have found some nice ones the last 3 or 4 years.
Love this hobby!

As noted, if the fields are near fresh water, there is likely to be campsites in the field. Over thousands of years, campsites moved frequently and there is likely evidence anywhere along the length of a stream or river, etc. farm fields just represent a great place to find the soil turned over to a depth and rained upon. You need a great surface to hunt, be it a beach with the right size pebbles, a field bordering a river, sandbars. You really just need dirt near resources needed to survive. Construction sites rained on are a great temporary hunt location. The archaeologists tell me that in one town where we hunt, if you sink your shovel into the earth, 50% of the time prehistoric cultural evidence will be encountered.

"Mabe stagnant swamp water was clean back then .. I have found camps around these kind of places before.."

Swamps and marshes were highly favored and locations of many resources.

Last edited:
I agree with the fields close to water being the best. Still a camp far from water at one time may have had a spring that has since dried up or maybe it was easy to defend and made the trip for water worth while. A lot of woods will most likely have points but not being plowed and clear makes it very hard to find points. Walking a nice plowed field along a river is always fun.

I am talking flowing water, not stagnant swamp water. The naturally flowing water always runs in the lowest area. There are high spots closer to the water, but very few artifacts there compared with away from the water.

i am sure water is a good clue, on the coast you look for a good salmon stream and a lot of the rivers are fairly short with a lot of occupation in year round villages...food and water at your finger tips, no need to move about. But in the desert where I have hunted in the past...lots of camp sites are miles from any water source so I do believe these folks knew places were they could dig for water if need be.

As noted, if the fields are near fresh water, there is likely to be campsites in the field. Over thousands of years, campsites moved frequently and there is likely evidence anywhere along the length of a stream or river, etc. farm fields just represent a great place to find the soil turned over to a depth and rained upon. You need a great surface to hunt, be it a beach with the right size pebbles, a field bordering a river, sandbars. You really just need dirt near resources needed to survive. Construction sites rained on are a great temporary hunt location. The archaeologists tell me that in one town where we hunt, if you sink your shovel into the earth, 50% of the time prehistoric cultural evidence will be encountered.

"Mabe stagnant swamp water was clean back then .. I have found camps around these kind of places before.."

Swamps and marshes were highly favored and locations of many resources.

from what i understand about you east of the plains hunters is that a lot of the culture areas you hunt were indigenous farmer folk Indians. So, like what Larson hunts, maybe the fields close to the rivers were not cleared by settlers but were abandoned by Indians (disease, warfare what have you) and taken over by Euro immigrants. And perhaps also, just thinking here like a hunter....Native peoples expected animals to wander into their fields and in fact WANTED them to...bring the hunt close to home. Add to that the thought that a wounded animal goes to water after their initial escape....or have I been hunting wrong all these years?

Many of us Eastern hunters are hunting artifacts much older than those of sedentary farmers.
In fact one group even into the time of tribes in my area never farmed at all.

Out west with thick forest, the rivers and streams were like roads today, nearly every fork or tributary has a camp close by... Many small streams and rivers are easily walked... Good fishing holes and camping spots then are often still used today...meandering streams carve whole valleys as a big oxbow bend is cut off changing the stream yet again, forming islands etc... You fortunately have plowed fields to locate concentrations of points... I have discovered camps from chips and points that moles push up! But it is getting harder to do in this country and especially in this State. It would take you a year to read and understand the Hunting, Fishing, Metal Detecting, Gold Mining laws... You can't build or even plant your land in trees without Archeologists approval, let alone let your child pick up an arrowhead! Thinking of all the wars and fighting for our freedom, to have our pastimes so regulated and a profit made from it... it really sickens me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back