Far west - Great Basin Gatecliff point

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I was contacted today by a person who had a large point - which they initially indicated was clovis. A NINE-inch clovis.

I informed them the point was not a clovis but more likely a great basin Gatecliff point.

I think this would be classified as a Gatecliff point, middle to late archaic, 5,000-3,000 Before present.

If anyone has an idea that it may be a different point style, say so. I don't collect far west relics.

Gatecliff point is a medium to large size dart point with horizontal to barb shoulders and a contracting stem. Bases are strait, sometimes rounded or pointed. Blade edges are convex to recurved. Most of the contracting stem point are known as Gypsum Cave further south. Parallel, oblique flaking does occur on this type. ID key is the tapered stem.

https://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/Gatecliff.html

The story is:
They have a very large point that their mother left them, which she'd found on her property in southern Baja California, Mx about 40 years ago. It's about 9" x 3" and in near perfect condition. Their mom thought she probably chipped it while digging. She was digging a deep hole to place an outhouse. She said when she hit it, that it felt different than hitting a rock, so she immediately stopped digging and then dug it out by hand.

They do not collect relics and may be interested in not retaining it.
1719626234493.png

1719626147720.png

1719626188506.png

1719626342230.png

1719626286419.png

Upvote 5
I don't know great basin relics, or the patination of Mexico in non-freezing temperatures. I am not saying its authentic or not therefore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back