Fake Spanish coin??

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on the beach today. Rang up like a pull tab and is the Size of a dollar coin but is lightweight. Is it just a random piece of aluminum with a cross in the middle? Maybe a fake Spanish silver coin?
51f597f6acafb4824592fc2c52dff805.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

at this point looks like a genuine Spanish coin of the period (1600s to 1700s)...though.. the design is that of a silver Spanish cob but the greenish patina looks more copper than silver. But usually, modern fakes are more nicely round, the designs are more unnaturally sharp. Modern fakes don't normally have all their legends worn off. Would be interesting to see the reverse design.

Upvote 0
79a36b451a9585b7ff5e3e3c77c72422.jpg
not much on the reverse

Upvote 0
probably wouldn't hurt to try and clean up the reverse (non-cross side) since you can't see anything anyway at this point. Just seems way too worn to be a modern fake...yet I'm also conflicted because it looks too base-metal-y to be a high silver content Spanish 8 reale cob. There were base metal counterfeits done of Spanish silver cobs in the 1600s and 1700s but they do not seem to be common-- in fact, I don't think I've ever seen a true contemporary base metal counterfeit of a Spanish cob. Contemporary (18th century to early 19th century) Spanish MILLED coins, yes, but not cobs for some reason. Unless.... sea sediment and corrossion have legitimately turned its silver into a greenish brown color.

Upvote 0
9bdd7b2e569f80b378792eedc63bc5c7.jpg
it's more of a hire patina. The last photos were a little decieving

Upvote 0
It weighs 13.0 grams

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure the weight is a give away that it's a fake. They weight around 27 grams. Bummer! I can't imagine if it were real!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back