Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

Recently I was re-introduced to a former high school classmate through facebook, and I eventually began telling her about my detecting hobby. When I put the word out that I was looking for more yards to search, she answered my post by telling me I could come by and search her yard :thumbsup:. She and her husband not only live in town, but as close as 15 minutes away :thumbsup:. I found out she lives in a neighborhood like mine, developed in the 1950's. Not an extremely old area, but these yards have allowed me to find a few wheats, a few toys, keys, dog tags and other fun stuff. If I'm lucky, I sometimes find a silver dime or two. Anyway, I made an appointment to stop by this morning and try my luck.

Since the back yard was larger than the front, I decided to start there. Within a minute or two, I found my first coin, which was a wheat penny :thumbsup:. That was a good sign. Within a few minutes after finding the wheat, I dug up another one, but there was another coin in the same hole..it turned out to be a silver Rosie :thumbsup: I began to realize this could be a productive yard, even though it wasn't an extremely old neighborhood.

After finding a key and some clad, I headed to the front yard, where I began finding more wheats. There wasn't any metal rebar in the driveway, so I was able to detect right up against it without my detector going off. Another signal, another wheat.

I was starting to tire after close to 2 hours so I decided to leave. I thought I'd check an area on the side of the house I hadn't checked thoroughly, and to my surprise I got a very nice signal that read between a quarter and a half dollar. I don't get these signals often so I dug VERY carefully and pulled out a plug of dirt. Laying there near the plug was a silver quarter :thumbsup: I went over the hole once more and got a solid dime signal. Ususally this means a dime or a copper penny. It was another wheat :thumbsup: Again I scanned the hole..another signal. I was already on my knees so I didn't even bother looking at the reading on my keypad. I just dug another scoop of dirt, and there was another silver quarter :thumbsup:

It's been a while since I've dug more than 2 silvers on a 2-hour hunt, so this was my day. The coins I had found thusfar inspired me to go back to the back yard and search a little more. I found a clad quarter, another wheat, and another silver Rosie before I called it quits.

I took a different street on my way home and drove by a house that was empty and for sale. So guess what I did..I stopped and put my truck in reverse, parked in front of the house and dialed the RE agent's number. Wouldn't you know it, I got permission to check that place too :icon_sunny: I was already pretty beat, but managed to cover the front yard quite thoroughly before I quit. I found a silver ring pretty quickly and started laughing :D I just couldn't believe my luck. After 3 more wheats I decided to go home and have some lunch.

P1-2.jpg

P0.jpg

P2-2.jpg

My total for today was 31 Lincoln Memorials, 13 wheats, 1 nickel, 8 dimes and 3 quarters for a total of 56 coins. I also found an old Lesney Matchbox Jaguar for my toy car collection and 2 old keys.

I passed the 1,500 coin mark with todays coin finds, and today also marks my 20th silver coin find and my 106th wheat penny find so far this year :icon_sunny:

Hope everyone finds a little treasure this week.

Nat

Upvote 0
WTG Nat on the silver pocket spill and all of the wheats. Nice looking ring you found too. Networking pays off :icon_sunny:

Great stuff :thumbsup:

Nice job Nat, after that hunt and those great finds maybe you can get permission from their neighbors as well. If they have any.. Congrats..jgas

Thanks crazyjarhead, STH69, John, allen, Neil, jgas, Nick and Jerry! I appreciate hearing from you guys.

Nat
jgas said:
Nice job Nat, after that hunt and those great finds maybe you can get permission from their neighbors as well. If they have any.. Congrats..jgas

I'm involved with several neighborhoods now, and each one started with one "Okay"!

Nat

Wow Nat , Your really kicking into gear now ! The ring is nice- the quarters are so rare for me (in silver )

yeah the private properties are the way to go - I've also had some success lately with construction floor

takeouts . I'm learning how to talk about detecting with home owners too. Argentium.

Nice finds. Congrats......HH.

Post them on your face book page maybe other will say ok as well.
Good hunt

TnMountains

Excellent finds Nat, Congrats on the finds and on reuniting with your friend!!!

HH Joe

Well now Nattie......Aren't you the little techy! WTG on the silver! You are a "getting the permission" guru! Keep up the great work....I can hardly wait to see what you find next! :tongue3:

HH,
Moon

I'd love to be able to detect properties that were built in the 50's. My parent's neighborhood is just that. I remember detecting the neighbor's houses when I first started detecting in my teens/twenties. I found the silver and wheats, and other interesting artifacts. It was a lot of fun.

Keep on working those properties, Nat. You're doing great! :thumbsup:

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

oledavidboy said:
Nice quality couple of hours there Nat!
Good work!

Hey Nat,
Can we see the Jaguar?
dave

Thanks! Here's the Jag..it's an early Matchbox with the regular wheels. Nature wasn't too kind on the paint job.

M1-2.jpg

M2.jpg

Moonshadow said:
Well now Nattie......Aren't you the little techy! WTG on the silver! You are a "getting the permission" guru! Keep up the great work....I can hardly wait to see what you find next! :tongue3:

HH,
Moon

Thanks Cindy! The direct approach seems to work for me...most of the time!

Captn_SE said:
I'd love to be able to detect properties that were built in the 50's. My parent's neighborhood is just that. I remember detecting the neighbor's houses when I first started detecting in my teens/twenties. I found the silver and wheats, and other interesting artifacts. It was a lot of fun.

Keep on working those properties, Nat. You're doing great! :thumbsup:

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks Captn Dan! You could tell prosperity was back after the war based on the amount of stuff that comes out of those yards!

Thanks for the comments y'all :thumbsup:
Nat

Dang, Nattie! :icon_pirat: What a day!! :o Way to go! 8)

Nana :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back