Expert needed!

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was rumbling through some very old family treasure and found these dang things!!! I have no idea! Their overall length is about 36" the shovels or blades are a 4"x6". The shovels or blades are beveled at the top. An art deco design is carved about midway down the shafts and are studded with an eye of "mother of pearl" on both sides of each. They look like they are made of,,,,,,,,,,,,, ivory? I don't think they are made of horn,because they are not hollow! Please help! I know my Friends on Treasurenet will come up with an answer! You guys are the best!! Here are the pics of what I have!1 ivory1.JPGivory11.JPGivory111.JPG

That is called a tewhatewha.
From new zealand.

Attachments

• 39758-atl.jpg
    39758-atl.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting. I've never heard of one. Great find.

Upvote 0
That is called a tewhatewha.
From new zealand.
Thank you so much Taz!! Short for TASMANIAN ??? LOL !! Looks lke you nailed it! You have been a great help! It would have been a long haul for an Ol' Cowboy from Texas to figure that one out! This web site is something special with people like you ! Thanks again!! The Kid

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thank you so much Taz!! Short for TASMANIAN ??? LOL !! Looks lke you nailed it! You have been a great help! It would have been a long haul for an Ol' Cowboy from Texas to figure that one out! This web site is something special with people like you ! Thanks again!! The Kid

Your welcome.

Attachments

• 095207186e097139329a7a47ea12ee88.jpg
    095207186e097139329a7a47ea12ee88.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back