Ever seen one of these?

JWT70

May 26, 2012

Attachments

• 1438048420495.jpg
    1438048420495.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 194
I've seen similar in front of my Neighbors house & others
in the 60's / 70's usually with plants in them.
possible also in Cemeteries , But
Not enough info & I'm not experienced enough to know if
that one is same age or Very old.

Cool find though !

Upvote 0
Speaking for myself as a T'Netter, I am more than happy to spend a lot of time researching interesting treasure finds. If you know what your find is I will be happy to learn from you - and if you don't know what it is I will be happy to help us both learn.

Where (within reason) was it found?
What material is it? (Almost looks like cement based :icon_scratch:).
Any stopper in it? Any discernible residues/odour, in it?
Is there any sign of a handle attachment - past or present?
What are your thoughts regarding the object?

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
Looks like an ancient wine vessel (Amphora). Can't be sure of it's authenticity (age) though without background info, and or seeing it in person.
Lacking handles, may be because it's a smaller one.
Google that and check out images....or wikki amphora.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I searched for wine container and only found one photo and couldn't find the word amphora. That was the word (amphora) that I was looking for. I have seen them in books and on TV being recovered from a shipwreck or ancient Egyptian tomb.

Upvote 0
There were so many differing styles and sizes, made and traded in so many different regions for 1000's of years (wine trade was huge!)
A variety of these vessels are still being made today.
The 8,000 Year History Of Wine Transport And Storage

I'm not saying this is what it is, but it sure fits. Just don't know if it's "ancient".
A history on the items would be nice. Like Mike said, "where was it found, when, what history does JWT70 have on it?"

Upvote 0
ancient wine jugs made for shipping wine ....their design is such that they must be laided upon their sides for shipment often with straw buffering to prevent rolling around..

Upvote 0
It's a friend of mine 's. He found it in a river. He has been told that it might be from the 1500s. An olive oil jug. I'm sure it could've held anything. He wanted to know the value. A friend of mine found something similar on eBay that was from Mesopotamia that goes for $120.

Upvote 0
If it doesnt stand up, than its made for shipment on its side like Ivan said.

Upvote 0
Did we ever find out what the material is?

Cool find :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
Spanish Olive Jar - THIS PIC is of a Type 3... My guess anyway.

1__Tortugas_B#69_copy_3_-_Copy__87131_zoom.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It obviously LOOKS like an old vessel but you haven't provided ANY information on it. At the very least a global location should be provided. For all we know they can be had on isle 38 at WalMart. Please play by the rules:

icon14.png
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING ITEMS IN "WHAT IS IT?"
IMPORTANT!

When posting in "What Is It?", please give members the information they need to help identify your find:

1. Post sharp closeup photos of both the front and the back.

2. State the actual size of the item. Also, if possible, put something with it in the photo for scale: a common U.S. coin, a ruler, etc.

3. If there are any inscriptions which cannot be easily read in the photos, type them in full in your post.

4. If there are maker's marks, numbers, symbols, or other marks on the back which are not easily seen in the photo, post a closeup or a drawing of them.

5. Indicate the composition of the item. For example: "thin brass, filled with lead on the back."

• Do not deliberately withhold any information just to "have fun" seeing if members can guess correctly.

• Once your item has been identified, don't forget to mark it "Solved."

Finally, if someone identifies your item or provides other helpful information, take time to post your appreciation— and maybe send a PM to say, "Thanks!" too.

Upvote 0
It obviously LOOKS like an old vessel but you haven't provided ANY information on it. At the very least a global location should be provided. For all we know they can be had on isle 38 at WalMart. Please play by the rules:

icon14.png
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING ITEMS IN "WHAT IS IT?"
IMPORTANT!

When posting in "What Is It?", please give members the information they need to help identify your find:

1. Post sharp closeup photos of both the front and the back.

2. State the actual size of the item. Also, if possible, put something with it in the photo for scale: a common U.S. coin, a ruler, etc.

3. If there are any inscriptions which cannot be easily read in the photos, type them in full in your post.

4. If there are maker's marks, numbers, symbols, or other marks on the back which are not easily seen in the photo, post a closeup or a drawing of them.

5. Indicate the composition of the item. For example: "thin brass, filled with lead on the back."

• Do not deliberately withhold any information just to "have fun" seeing if members can guess correctly.

• Once your item has been identified, don't forget to mark it "Solved."

Finally, if someone identifies your item or provides other helpful information, take time to post your appreciation— and maybe send a PM to say, "Thanks!" too.

correct !

I don't want to come off as Rude ...

But What is it is not for playing Guess the relic Games.

If your truly interested in getting an ID it is the place to come however.
But info needs to be given.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back