Evening starts with a gush and ends with a trickle, has me detecting in the dark

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looked at a couple of my usual spots this evening but just couldn't get excited about the possibilities. So kept going, and came upon a fresh tear-out.

Started out quickly, had scored three Barber Dimes in the first half hour. But the late start pushed me into the dark, and I didn't want to leave as I was doing so well.

Silver Obverse 081324.jpgSilver Reverse 081324.jpg

The three Barbers came early. The Seated Dime came well after dark. My detector has no backlight and I have no headlamp, so I was detecting strictly by tone.

Trickle Obverse 081324.jpgTrickle Reverse 081324.jpg

This trickle was one of the last finds of the evening. I am not even sure I would have dug it in daylight, because I had dug so much trash. But because I couldn't read VDI numbers at the time I found it, I reacted to the fact that it provided a solid mid-tone.

Token Obverse 081324.jpgToken Reverse 081324.jpg

Shame this token is made of aluminum. Can't quite identify the issuer.

Copper 081324.jpg

Did find a few coppers. Was impressed with the silver to copper ratio tonight.

Fob Obverse 081324.jpgFob Reverse 081324.jpg

This fob was also found in the dark. High tone so a must dig. Dropped it in the finds pouch because of the "regular" shape of it. It is from the United States Horseshoe Company. Issued around 1920. Non-dug examples are being listed between $50-$120 on Ebay.

Oddball finds 081324.jpg

A few oddballs to boot. A lead bag seal with some writing on it, but can't quite identify. A button, back-mark unreadable. A beautiful marble. And an ornate foil piece.

Today's finds...

1865 Three Cent Nickel (Trickle)
1891 Seated Liberty Dime
1903 Barber Dime
(2) 1912 Barber Dimes
5 cent in trade token, vendor not identified
(2) IHPs 1890 and date unreadable
(6) Wheatback pennies 1919, 1935-D, 1941, 1945, 1958-D, 1958-D
Fob, 1920ish, United States Horseshoe Company
Lead bag seal
Civilian button, back-mark unreadable
Sweet marble
Ornate foil piece

PBS

Upvote 34
That's a pretty good day, even for a good tear out site. In my 27 Days Digging Decatur story there was more than one day when I was doing so good I kept at it until well after midnight. That was the case when I found my one and only Capped Bust coin, a sweet little half dime. Have you gotten a Capped Bust yet?

That's a pretty good day, even for a good tear out site. In my 27 Days Digging Decatur story there was more than one day when I was doing so good I kept at it until well after midnight. That was the case when I found my one and only Capped Bust coin, a sweet little half dime. Have you gotten a Capped Bust yet?
No, no capped busts. It is a bucket lister I've been gunning for. Rare, but found occasionally in Michigan. I start every hunt with "Today's the day".

PBS

NICE GOING :) were they side walk tear outs>

Looked at a couple of my usual spots this evening but just couldn't get excited about the possibilities. So kept going, and came upon a fresh tear-out.

Started out quickly, had scored three Barber Dimes in the first half hour. But the late start pushed me into the dark, and I didn't want to leave as I was doing so well.

View attachment 2163860View attachment 2163861

The three Barbers came early. The Seated Dime came well after dark. My detector has no backlight and I have no headlamp, so I was detecting strictly by tone.

View attachment 2163862View attachment 2163863

This trickle was one of the last finds of the evening. I am not even sure I would have dug it in daylight, because I had dug so much trash. But because I couldn't read VDI numbers at the time I found it, I reacted to the fact that it provided a solid mid-tone.

View attachment 2163864View attachment 2163865

View attachment 2163866

View attachment 2163867View attachment 2163868

This fob was also found in the dark. High tone so a must dig. Dropped it in the finds pouch because of the "regular" shape of it. It is from the United States Horseshoe Company. Issued around 1920. Non-dug examples are being listed between $50-$120 on Ebay.

View attachment 2163869

A few oddballs to boot. A lead bag seal with some writing on it, but can't quite identify. A button, back-mark unreadable. A beautiful marble. And an ornate foil piece.

Today's finds...

1891 Seated Liberty Dime
1903 Barber Dime
(2) 1912 Barber Dimes
Lead bag seal
Sweet marble
Ornate foil piece

PBS
wow, great hunt, love all that old silver, big time gratz

What other cities in Michigan begin with an "E" and end with an "N" .. Elkhorn, perhaps?
Not sure that's an "E". It's right at the edge of a crater, not sure if a portion of it is in the crater. Agree that the last letter looks like "N". Not sure if it would be a good idea to try electrolysis on it, never tried zapping aluminum. And again, looks like a crater is obliterating the name as much as a build up of corrosion.

PBS

Fantastic recoveries. Congratulations! I can sure understand why you didn't want to leave when it got dark! Thanks for posting.

What other cities in Michigan begin with an "E" and end with an "N" .. Elkhorn, perhaps?
I can only think of 2 East Jordan and Eaton

How would someone find out the cities where they would be replacing sidewalk ?

Wow! Great day (night ) of detecting! Congrats on the silvers, and especially the 3 c nickel. I've never found one. Hopefully one day.

View attachment 2163860View attachment 2163861

View attachment 2163862View attachment 2163863

View attachment 2163864View attachment 2163865

View attachment 2163866

View attachment 2163867View attachment 2163868

View attachment 2163869

Today's finds...

1891 Seated Liberty Dime
1903 Barber Dime
(2) 1912 Barber Dimes
Lead bag seal
Sweet marble