Even the Loosers Get Lucky Sometimes.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy folks. Not many newsworthy finds of late so I got together with a newbie detectorist and hit a huge public park. Hunted a few trashy spots and headed to a little cleaner area next to an old limestone lodge rental in the park. It was vacant so we hunted right up to it. Then came a couple renting the lodge so we politely skeedaddled off to give them some privacy. Divine intervention working here perhaps. I headed towards a river edge and along the way hit another low 18 VDI signal thinking another glob of foil. The area being nearly bare dirt I plunged in my Lesche and popped the target straight up into daylight. Thinking I must be dreaming I was perplexed for a moment by a yellow gold necklace emerging from the hole. Pulled it out of the dirt and thankfully my hasty recovery of "foil" hadn't sliced through the necklace. I could make out the word Italy so I thought I might have my first actual gold necklace. I beat feet over to the new guy to show him my necklace. He confirmed Italy but, we couldn't make out the other marks. He asked me if I checked around the spot and in my excitement I realized I hadn't. We headed back over and I scanned the ground around the hole and another low VDI 18 signal appeared. I popped out a junk gold plated ring and was tickled with even that find. Upon arriving at my base camp aka home I confirmed .585 14K true gold necklace number one for me.

I believe it's an 18 incher and had a junk ring and cross on it. I love my crosses junk or not. It appears spending time with the newbie instead of heading to another virgin field to hunt and giving the lodge renters their privacy brought about a pleasant reward today. I am well blessed and hope ya'll are too this wonderful weekend. Kurios1 001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG006.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 17
Welcome to tnet and the addiction. Great job on all your finds Thanks for sharing em /Last year most of my gold magically turned into a water heater Thanks to the wife. whats the saying happy wife happy life or happy spouse happy house!! Then my Daughters pick over the silver Happy Daughters smooth waters Tom Petty is right sometimes!!!!!!

Last edited:
Nice job on pulling that beauty out of the ground!

Cool man, congrats on the gooold!

Welcome to Tnet... nice hunt.
Well done.

Congrats!!!

In the center photo, the round medal like item next to the butterfly wing. Do you know what that is? It appears to have a ship's anchor on it.

Howdy. You are referring to the old button. I researched it thinking it was a Military Naval button but, it appears maybe not so. I found some information stating they made a million of these for civilian clothing of some sort. I could be wrong though. I actually dug this at the sight I dug my silver SLQ earlier this week. Thanks for your interest. Kurios1001.JPG

Yo'. Fortunately or not I don't have family members picking over my finds. I have a cat who could care less about my treasures but, just needs food & water and of course a buddy to snuggle with. I have never sold anything I have ever dug since I began hauling all this stuff into my crib in 2008. As disorganized as I am I can't even find half the stuff I bring home when I want to. It's stored away in little trinket boxes, jewelry boxes, film canisters, etc. Treasure hunting is indeed therapy for me as well as many other MDers. I reckon I need "help" with my lack of organization and storage of old coins, jewelry, relics, and such. Not sure if there's an easy answer for that. Have a great weekend mate.

Good morning Java Time reply. Thanks for acknowledging my first real gold necklace and the persistence it takes digging buckets of foil & can slaw for some of us to score some actual gold. I truly was dumbfounded as I first gazed at the necklace I recovered. Kinda' the same feeling when I scored my first real gold ring. Never expected it and certainly wasn't on my radar as target of highest priority as I am mostly a coin guy. I don't pay much attention to VDI numbers but, rather as most folks I suspect listen for the tones which are "clear" and whisper into our minds, "dig me". I'll be heading into a new corn field today to sort through much iron I suspect looking for another bucket list coin, relic, or God Only Knows what? I hope ya'll get much relief from the cares of this world while out on your own personal journey into the adventures of treasure hunting. Peace Out Homies. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back