Estate Sale Oil Painting Found in a Hidden Compartment

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, just like the title says, this piece was found folded and tucked away in a hidden recess behind a 20s era bow front wood dresser in a garage.

During an estate sale, I was rooting through the garage when a big mirror caught my eye. As I was moving the dresser away from the wall, I happened to look back and saw a box attached to the back of the dresser. It was impossible to resist so I opened the box and this slid out

It's been laying out for some time and I just finally put it into a frame. Needless to say, it's a beautiful piece and she bears an uncanny resemblance to my younger cousin.

Does anybody have any idea as to an age? Maybe something with the style gives it away? It has two round holes near the top with rust in them, like it was nailed to a board for some time.

There is no signature and it almost looks like it's been cut out of something larger

Attachments

• IMG_6412.JPG
    IMG_6412.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 299
Interesting my guess would be late 1880s about the time Buffalo Bill was touring with his wild West show. The face is a little too Caucasian to be a period Native American paining but it might be worth checking it out.

I'm curious to know if you bought the dresser, or how did you come to acquire the picture?

There is something familiar about here face, but I just can't quite put my finger on it??

I'm curious to know if you bought the dresser, or how did you come to acquire the picture?

There is something familiar about here face, but I just can't quite put my finger on it??

Nope, I didn't buy the dresser. It was in a hidden compartment attached to the back. I was just lucky enough to see it when I pulled it away from the wall. Since it looked like a soiled roll of canvas, the estate company just overlooked it when I placed it on the table at checkout.

Interesting my guess would be late 1880s about the time Buffalo Bill was touring with his wild West show. The face is a little too Caucasian to be a period Native American paining but it might be worth checking it out.

I agree about the woman being Caucasian looking. Lose the headband and feathers and she looks like a 30s Flapper girl. I just liked it because she was a twin of my younger cousin. I set a pic to her sister and she said the same thing

Looks like she has a roll of toilet paper on her shoulder.

Just messing with ya....nice find!

I could be wrong but I do not think to many female Indians wore red lipstick. Looks like water color. Nice piece of Art.

Looks turn of the century up to about the 1920s. She has that flapper look going on.

Its actually oil on canvas. When i first touched it i thought it was an old rag and expected an old watch or knife to flop out. Ill try to take some better pictures this afternoon with some better sunlight.

Currently its hung up in my bathroom so the lighting isn't that great. (thanks for blowing my cover, Kentuckiana Jones)

Nice. Looks like advertising art from the 1920s-30s. May be an original design that was reproduced elsewhere or part of a larger composition. That would explain the lack of signature and poor condition — commercial work forgotten after it was reproduced / used on a sign, etc. Not that that makes it any less collectible.

Maybe take it to the Antiques Road show when they come to your town. You never know..........

I'd agree with Gopher, 1900s up to '20. The "smokey eye" was popular during that time frame.

After finding these few blurbs I'm going to agree with others on 1920's.
"Mascara wasn't even invented until 1915"
"The 1920’s was an age of ...... The makeup trends during this decade greatly focused on a pale complexion paired with heavy eye makeup,"
"1920's Makeup Trends...dark smokey eyes"

Probably dressed for a costume party.

Last edited:
Looks to me like its a large block print that's been hand tinted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back