Estate sale finds and question

Forgot the pics. 😆

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240918_132108_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240918_132108_Messages.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 51
Both are modern and recent made. If you paid $30 for both you still got good deal even though they really reproductions.

How thick are the blades? My gut reaction is modern tourist pieces. (I have some similar pieces and mine are definitely modern.)

How would one tell that,going forward? Too perfect?
Most of the modern reproductions are too thick. And a lot of them are made of a soft rock that has an almost soapy texture. I'm sure there are lots of other signs, but those are the two that stick out the most to me (definitely not an expert).

I’m not much of a buyer or seller but my mind goes to the thought that if they were real they would be really nice probably valuable points and I can’t imagine most people would hide part of a well made authentic point by sticking it in a modern haft… but usually the price of a perfect point especially that size would be much higher and they don’t look to have any patina and everything looks razor sharp, non of those things are sure fire ways to tell but some things that throw up flags

On authentic you look for multiole things, you look for patina, from being in ground for hundreds to thousands years, the flaking of the stone, is point too perfect, look with a magnifying glass at the flaking to see how it was napped, is it correct, is style correct, there are many different things to look at.

Nice pick-ups! They will make a great display. Thanks for posting.

Modern, very good knapping. The one on the right looks like High Ridge Crescent from the St Louis area. I can see the crinoid fossils in the OPs pic, indicating Mississippian era flint. Likely Burlington flint. High Ridge is a sub type with those colors. Most Burlington is white or off white. Here’s a piece for reference. I think $30 was a good deal. Put them to use and see what they’ll do!
IMG_6712.jpeg

There is a lot of both of those types of flint in Missouri.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back