Erratic ProPointer, anybody else have this problem?

normalizer

Sep 3, 2012
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT PRO, and Garrett Pro Pointer. Hope to one day be good enough to justify buying a Whites V3Xi.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had my PP in a backpack wading a creek and had to go through some near neck deep water, completely forgot about the PP being in the bag.

This happened about 6 months ago, so it's had lots of time to dry out.

It still works, but not consistently. It'll be fine a couple seconds and they just start beeping away for no reason. If I turn it off and back on again it will sometimes clear it, and if I tap it on something it will also sometimes "reset" it.

It also has become a pig about false readings if you put any pressure on it.

I figure somebody out there has dunked theirs like I did and maybe found a way to get it working normal again. It was obviously caused by my submerging it, so not something I'd expect Garrett to fix under warranty. It wouldn't kill me to buy another one, but was hoping somebody knew of a fix.

Anybody?

(I keep it in a watertight baggy now at all times, just in case.)

Once some electronics get wet they are done for. But why not give Garrett a call and tell them what happened. They might fix it or even send you a new one if you don't piss them off. They are not Tesoro after all.

Thanks, can't hurt to ask... Ill do that.

my pro pointer was doing the very same thing, I dropped it off at garrett and they replaced it, screwed my old end cap on new body! but yesterday it started to act up again, I changed the freq I was using on the at pro and that seemed to clear it up,

my pro pointer was doing the very same thing, I dropped it off at garrett and they replaced it, screwed my old end cap on new body! but yesterday it started to act up again, I changed the freq I was using on the at pro and that seemed to clear it up,

Thanks for the Advise Mine Will Be Here Soon I Hope Chug

I don't thing it was the water that screwed it up, they can take a pretty good bath without damaging it. They can act up if the batter is low and also if the little rubber piece inside the end cap comes off. This rubber piece holds the battery tight against the contacts so when its gone or is too thin the battery doesn't make a solid connection and messes with the PPer's mind.
Good luck,
ZDD

Just got mine back from Garrett. It still falses when you put pressure on the tip. It is a brand new pp with my old cap screwed on the end.

The pressure on the tip signal is normal. The beep beep beep can be a bad unit or an early indicator of battery voltage drop. Replace the battery first and see if it persists. I've found that Duracells are a little shorter than Eveready, the shorter battery compounds the problem. Make sure the rubber/foam circular dot is still under the cap, that increases pressure on the battery contacts.

Wayne

Tried changing the freq on the AT Pro, as well as just turning it off and makes no difference. The battery in it is good, but it IS a duracell. Will try an energizer next.
The rubber bumper is there, but I added a piece of cardboard to make it a little tighter, doesn't seem to make a difference.

When it was submerged it was underwater probably a good minute or two, and was DOA when I got out of the creek later upon realizing what I'd done. I let it dry out in a box of minute rice (to absorb moisture) and it came back on but has acted wierd like this ever since.

It'll be fine for a little while and then just start doing it's own thing. A light whack against the ground will sometimes fix it, otherwise I just turn it off and back on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back