Equus Teeth Questions

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
I found the following on a Florida beach. I was wondering if the more brownish substance on the outside of the teeth is part of the tooth or matrix? Second, if you can tell anymore about the identify than equus? Third, would it harm the teeth to spray them with a clear laquer or polyurethane to preserve them or should I get the specific mixture that is recommended for such things? And fourth, you can see horizontal lines running across the teeth, which I presume to be like growth rings, is that what the rings actually are?

Thanks for any information or ideas on any of the questions.

From bottom to top, the longest tooth is about two inches high. And across the top, it measure about 1.25 inches.

Attachments

• teeth 002.jpg
    teeth 002.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 240
  • teeth 001.jpg
    teeth 001.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 223
  • teeth 003.jpg
    teeth 003.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 247
  • teeth 004.jpg
    teeth 004.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 228
I guess you are talking about the cementum. Equid teeth (and the teeth of other taxa) are surrounded by cementum which is softer than the two other tooth components, enamel and dentin.

It is cementum which binds together the enamel plates in a mammoth tooth. Cementum is often lost - partially or completely - during preservation. It tends to crumble and flake away in a thoroughly-dry specimen. Hence the need to consolidate cementum when it is present.

Lacquer or polyurethane will coat a tooth, but it will not penetrate the cementum or other parts of the tooth. This why a consolidant like Butvar-76 in acetone or Duco Cement in acetone is required to preserve the tooth.

Equus sp. is the best identification you can rely on, I think.

Thanks for the information. That is helpful.

Harry Pristis said:
I guess you are talking about the cementum. Equid teeth (and the teeth of other taxa) are surrounded by cementum which is softer than the two other tooth components, enamel and dentin.

It is cementum which binds together the enamel plates in a mammoth tooth. Cementum is often lost - partially or completely - during preservation. It tends to crumble and flake away in a thoroughly-dry specimen. Hence the need to consolidate cementum when it is present.

Lacquer or polyurethane will coat a tooth, but it will not penetrate the cementum or other parts of the tooth. This why a consolidant like Butvar-76 in acetone or Duco Cement in acetone is required to preserve the tooth.

Equus sp. is the best identification you can rely on, I think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back