equinox treasure talk #3

Have any of you guys read about the battery pack? I read on Minelab site that it is a sealed battery pack. I hope we will be able to buy an extra battery pack to use while out detecting. I haven’t read how long the battery pack will last before having to recharge.

From what I've read you would send it back for a battery replacement if you need to replace so you can't swap them. They have said there will be more information in the manual and that if you wanted you can plug a USB power bank into the detector and run it off of that. So technically that would be your backup battery.

Last edited:
Thanks for you opinion Jason. You basically said what I hoping and expected. I am not buying one to replace my Etrac but just want one to compliment it and hopefully a bit lighter too. It's also a lot less than the CTX I been thinking about ever since I bought the Etrac.

Thanks for you opinion Jason. You basically said what I hoping and expected. I am not buying one to replace my Etrac but just want one to compliment it and hopefully a bit lighter too. It's also a lot less than the CTX I been thinking about ever since I bought the Etrac.

I loved the performance of my E-Trac but the weight and balance are horrid. The CTX weighs more but is balanced so much better that I can swing it all day without fatigue. The Equinox will certainly be much lighter, I am hoping the balance is good too (or at not bad).

I loved the performance of my E-Trac but the weight and balance are horrid. The CTX weighs more but is balanced so much better that I can swing it all day without fatigue. The Equinox will certainly be much lighter, I am hoping the balance is good too (or at not bad).

Jason just became a subscriber and soon to be fan. Thank you for your input. I have the Max and F75 and was ready to pull the trigger on the Deus but the Equinox has me waiting to add just one more to my arsenal and save money at that. I guess we’ll see. Thanks again for your input.

Thanks for sharing!

Have any of you guys read about the battery pack? I read on Minelab site that it is a sealed battery pack. I hope we will be able to buy an extra battery pack to use while out detecting. I haven’t read how long the battery pack will last before having to recharge.

Better than swapping an expensive battery, you can use a USB "bank" to charge and run your EQ. They are cheap and plentiful, and come in various sizes to suit your wishes. Like an all day sucker! Run your bank dry? plug in another one. Want to run only one? get a big one. The magnetic connector is similar in concept to the ones Apple uses on their laptops, they tug free easily so no damage. Easy to keep waterproof too. I applaud their choices in this! Bets others will follow rapidly if Minelab didn't secure another patent covering such a connector in detecting use. I'm almost curious enough to check Apple's MagSafe patents to see the difference but the pinout and voltages are different and it's not a computing device so probably isn't an issue for ML.

Better than swapping an expensive battery, you can use a USB "bank" to charge and run your EQ. They are cheap and plentiful, and come in various sizes to suit your wishes. Like an all day sucker! Run your bank dry? plug in another one. Want to run only one? get a big one. The magnetic connector is similar in concept to the ones Apple uses on their laptops, they tug free easily so no damage. Easy to keep waterproof too. I applaud their choices in this! Bets others will follow rapidly if Minelab didn't secure another patent covering such a connector in detecting use. I'm almost curious enough to check Apple's MagSafe patents to see the difference but the pinout and voltages are different and it's not a computing device so probably isn't an issue for ML.
s-l1600.jpg
i thought this is interesting ... a solar charged charger

View attachment 1540337
i thought this is interesting ... a solar charged charger

Most of these have very inadequate solar panels. Basically, they are good enough to prevent false advertising, but not very practical as you would deplete the battery if you attempted to use them and charge them simultaneously or it would take multiple days to recharge solely from solar power. You would be better off just getting an equivalently sized battery without the panel and then a larger panel you could hang off your backpack if you wanted something that could actually replenish the lost energy during use. If you are going to go this route, shop around and do some math to determine if they are actually practical. Solar panel technology is improving, so there may be some practical, similarly sized solutions out there, but you typically have to pay a hefty premium for those smaller, more efficient panels. The above clip has no information on the solar panel to make a judgement in this specific case. Basically, if you think what you are paying is worth it for the battery (and the battery can be judged to be decent, another potential knockoff issue) alone, then pick it up for the novelty, otherwise, don't expect it to charge itself in a reasonable period of time purely from solar. If it is inexpensive, then it is probably also cheap. Buyer beware is all I'm saying. Search on your favorite online retail site for solar power bank and see how many hits you get.

Last edited:
Just comparing targets heads up against Etrac orCTX, might not show the strength of Equinox. Speed of actual hunting and locating better targets is important too.

You see some folks gets it in their heads. For a person to just stay in one site and hunt and hunt and hunt until they clean it out. But what if only giving one hunt on a site for so many hours and minutes. What if the Equinox can hunt 30% percent faster and find 90% of the goods. Just an example. I think this is part of the success with Deus too.

Equinox may be a more efficient detector than fbs detectors. May be more efficient than Deus too since Equinox seems might just give better ID on deeper targets.

Just comparing targets heads up against Etrac orCTX, might not show the strength of Equinox. Speed of actual hunting and locating better targets is important too.

You see some folks gets it in their heads. For a person to just stay in one site and hunt and hunt and hunt until they clean it out. But what if only giving one hunt on a site for so many hours and minutes. What if the Equinox can hunt 30% percent faster and find 90% of the goods. Just an example. I think this is part of the success with Deus too.

Equinox may be a more efficient detector than fbs detectors. May be more efficient than Deus too since Equinox seems might just give better ID on deeper targets.

If I had another detector to compare it to, I would. I'm sure there wont be any shortage of head-to-heads in the first year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back