Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this neat coin last week. I posted it on FB and Thom says he thinks it's a double strike. I know nothing about it other than that. I don't even dare try to clean it. Any further comments are more than welcome on it. :) The other Indian cent I dug the same day....different hole. It's 1906.
Thanks a bunch,
Nana
101_5244.JPG 101_5245.JPG

Attachments

• 101_5229.JPG
    101_5229.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 197
Nana, I'm not the coin person, but I remember hearing about a 1909 Indian Head that was a 'broad strike' when a coin gets stuck in the die and gets struck by another coin.

I did find this question & answer snippet and below is the conversation and website. It's located about half way down the page:
Coined For Money

Just went through my change and found a poor condition 1909 Indian Head penny with the imprint backwards - ie 1909 is in reverse and 'One Cent' is "tnec eno". Is this some type of fake coin make or something real that happened? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
poor condition 1909 Indian Head penny with the imprint backwards - ie 1909 is in reverse and 'One Cent' is "tnec eno". Is this some type of fake coin make or something real that happened?

This could be a Broadstrike error it happens when coins get stuck in the die and is struck by another coin.It needs to seen by expert either online or in a coin shop. If real it's about $300.00. Unfortunately it can easily be faked.

Super Neat find :)
Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How thick is it compared to a regular Indian head? It almost looks like the imprint of another coin in the crust that covers it.

Upvote 0
How thick is it compared to a regular Indian head? It almost looks like the imprint of another coin in the crust that covers it.

That's a good point. Nana, you may need to clean it enough to see if the impression is in the crud or the actual coin.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
Just took a picture of the side view. Odd coin on the left. It's def fatter with all that crud on it. lol I did go back over the hole to make sure nothing else was there.
Thanks Breezie for the link. :)
OH I wanna clean it SO bad! I got my toothpick set on ready. :laughing7:
101_5257.JPG

Upvote 0
I'm dying to find out what you have there Nanner's! Cool stuff down there in Bama. :thumbsup:
Turtleman would be proud of you. :tongue3:
Neat find,
DUHg

Upvote 0
I think Turtleman is KinTucky born, but I bet he'd still be proud. lol ;)

Upvote 0
oh...and thank ye. :tongue3:

Upvote 0
I believe that was two Indian heads that got stuck together. The patina on the one developed the imprint that was on the other coin.
If you were to carefully use wet baking soda paste and a toothbrush, I think you would find that the real coin lies beneath that
crude. Be careful to keep checking coin and not rub off actual coin markings. I've done this to many IH's and sometimes the
result has even surprised me but the caveat is this: some corroded copper coins will lose all markings using this technique
because they are pretty much destroyed by the elements. Those coins are toast when dug.
245.jpg this coin is a good example. 238A.jpg This coin is a surprised me example after cleaning.

Upvote 0
Nana, what is the crud? Is it mud or some type of corrosion?

Seems to me if it were stuck to another coin to make that impression, the other coin would have been in the hole. I don't really know, but more or less thinking out loud.

Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nana, what is the crud? Is it mud or some type of corrosion?

Seems to me if it were stuck to another coin to make that impression, the other coin would have been in the hole. I don't really know, but more or less thinking out loud.

Breezie

I agree with Breezie. It sounds like there was no other coin there to make that imprint. :dontknow:

How about cleaning that coin with some water and a light rub? You're killing me! :laughing7:
-DUG-

Upvote 0
Just looks like compact dirt...lots of it, eh? hahaha... And I re-checked the hole...nothing else there.
That toothpick is getting closer and closer! :happysmiley: If it's only worth $300, if it were to be a double strike, the only thing I have to lose is the fact that it was a neat find, huh....and MM's plane ticket to Bama and his Ruth's Chris meal. :tongue3:
Thanks, ya'll. :)

Upvote 0
I believe that was two Indian heads that got stuck together. The patina on the one developed the imprint that was on the other coin.
If you were to carefully use wet baking soda paste and a toothbrush, I think you would find that the real coin lies beneath that
crude. Be careful to keep checking coin and not rub off actual coin markings. I've done this to many IH's and sometimes the
result has even surprised me but the caveat is this: some corroded copper coins will lose all markings using this technique
because they are pretty much destroyed by the elements. Those coins are toast when dug.
View attachment 1040759 this coin is a good example. View attachment 1040760 This coin is a surprised me example after cleaning.

even the date change. I think I liked it better when it was 1871

Upvote 0
even the date change. I think I liked it better when it was 1871

no these are two different examples of two diff. coins - obviously!

Upvote 0
A 'broadstruck' coin is a coin that was struck outside of the collar, or coining chamber. The collar is a flat steel plate with a hole in it that prevents the coin planchet from spreading under the pressure of the coin press. Evidence of a broadstruck coin would include a slightly larger diameter than a normal coin, and for those denominations with edge reeds, there would be no edge reeding, as the reeding is imparted by the collar. The description that Breezie gave for a 'broadstruck' coin is actually the definition of what is called 'die cap', where a struck coin is not ejected by the ejection mechanism, and remains stuck to the die. As the next coin is struck, the die cap remains stuck to the die and leaves a reversed impression on the next coin, which is called a 'brockage'.

The Indian Cent in the OP does not appear to be a die cap, nor is it a brockage, and it certainly is not a broadstrike. I believe that Ocean7 is closer to the answer, in that a chemical process involving the very reactive copper of the Indian Cent, mineral deposits in the soil, and the metal of the second object left a compacted and reversed impression on whatever the material of the other object is.

Upvote 0
OK. So I did a little cleaning with the peroxide method. I REALLY think it's lead. It's still a bit fatter than a normal cent, has a white patina and is still a tad heavier than it feels it should be. Some one's try at a counterfeit I suppose? I have however learned a LOT about coins through your comments and I thank you so very much! :) ......and I still think it's neat.
Thanks a bunch!!
Nana
101_5265.JPG101_5269.JPG101_5272.JPG

Upvote 0
Nana, I'm glad you cleaned it and now know what you have. Even though it's not the big bucks coin, it's still a SUPER NEAT find! Since it is lead, I wonder if it could be some type of 'camp trench art?'

Can you see anything on the front of the coin or is it flat/smooth?

Breezie

Upvote 0
Now this is odd. I have what looks to be the reverse side of a quarter and it looks allot like your item, only it's a quarter. Everything is backwards and i believe it is lead. Also, there is nothing on the obverse side except what looks to be grooves from something striking it. 764.jpg766.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back