Encrusted Ring ID - M mark

simulant

Nov 18, 2012
Found this at an old park. It's pretty encrusted with sand and dirt but I was able to clean it a little to see a couple marks. On either side is that 'M' mark. Anyone know what that is? And on the bottom is that 'O' mark. Whatever's on the top is a crusty mess!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483636614.118581.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483636653.948701.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1483636667.197486.jpg

The "M" mark is really a "TM" for Tom Mix.TM.jpg

It could be the Tom Mix whistle ring. Or the gun ring.

Upvote 0
I think its the first picture I showed. the Tom Mix "look around ring". The stuff on top of the box part looks like just sand crud, not part of a gun or whistle.

Upvote 0
At one time there was no TV, only radio. Tom Mix, the Lone Ranger, the Cisco Kid, Captain Marvel and a few other kid programs were on the radio. They advertised cereal, or chocolate drinks etc. For only .25 cents, along with a box top of the advertised cereal a kid could get the special ring, which was included in the story line of each program. I remember one program that had a special decoder built into the ring. During that weeks story, the decoder would be used to solve the case, then at the end of the program they would broadcast a code for all the kids had purchased the special decoder ring. I took a proper box top, taped a quarter to it, along with my return address and sent it off to some place in Battlecreek, Michigan. My one size fits all ring finally arrived, and I had my ear to the radio and copied the ending secret message. The decoded message said something like, "Drink more Ovaltine." I was not a happy camper.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back