Eat India Company pastiche coijn?

PaddyB

Jul 18, 2016
Devon, England
Primary Interest:
Other
Eat India Company pastiche coin?

A friend has asked me to find out more about this coin. It seems to be loosely based on the East India Half Anna of 1835, but clearly poking fun at that company! Can anyone translate the writing? Anyone know anymore about it?

Indian Monkeys.jpg

Last edited:
It is a Hindu Temple Token. Lots of them out there, though I did not see one exactly like yours.

Lots of fakes as well so look closely.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Temple token was an idea that had occurred to me too - I just felt the topic was a bit too "jokey".

I would still be interested to know what the writing says.

Upvote 0
Not a joke and apparently becoming more collectible.

The coins are called ramtanka or ramatanka. The language is Sanskrit. The monkey God I believe is Hanuman.

I don't know what the writing says but I suspect the name of the Temple.

Upvote 0
Not a joke and apparently becoming more collectible.

The coins are called ramtanka or ramatanka. The language is Sanskrit. The monkey God I believe is Hanuman.

I don't know what the writing says but I suspect the name of the Temple.

I remember watching a ridiculous TV documentary series one time, and in one of the episodes, they went to the temples to learn the ancient fighting style passed down from Hanuman to humans. They attempted to use this in an actual muay thai/kickboxing match or something, and got beat down.

Upvote 0
From the pic on the right it appears to invoke the statement "If you are going to measure your' crap, make sure that everyone gets a fair measure!"!!:icon_scratch::tongue3::laughing7:

Frank

Upvote 0
EIC half Anna.jpg
From the pic on the right it appears to invoke the statement "If you are going to measure your' crap, make sure that everyone gets a fair measure!"!!:icon_scratch::tongue3::laughing7:

Frank

Nice one! It certainly seems to be poking fun at the British administration. This is the East India Company Bombay Presidency half Anna on which I think it is based. Something about being ruled by monkeys who dished out cr*p for justice!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back