🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well.. I found another one of these and figured it was time to figure out what it was before I find a third one! I googled around, but couldnt seem to find what they were.

They're stamped brass.
Patent date of October 27th 1885.
One I just found has whats left of a brass rivet.
One I found 15 years ago appears to have iron rivets.

Convex view - front
pat cropped.jpg

Concave view - back
IMG_20141016_080330_655.jpg
Based on the rivets, I was guessing maybe it was attached to leather.

Sorry bout that! If they weren't bent\twisted, it appears that would be about 1 3/4" long. Both were found at different home sites... about 20 years apart. Looks like the middle hole has a metal grommet that is pressed\crimped on. I cant tell from the one with the iron connectors, but the one with brass connectors definitely looks like a broken rivet to me and is about 1/4 long. You can see in the first picture the "rivet" sticking up has a ring around the top where it snapped off. The other end is smooth dome shaped.
IMG_20141017_071859_471.jpg

Upvote 0
Are they end pieces for roll up window blinds?

That's a great idea. I was trying to google for patents by date with "window" after I read your idea! Haven't found anything yet, but they sure do look like that. Only thing is in the picture of the one with brass connectors, it really looks like its a broken rivet to me. If that is the case, I don't know if it would be a piece of window blind hardware.

This is another item I thought I had seen on here before... But I feel like I always do that when I dig something unknown! haha Maybe old bits of metal just all look the same to me

Upvote 0
On my cell my first thought was cap to an old ball joint, than bearing cap/dust cover on an electric motor came to mind.

Upvote 0

WOW... that looks just like it! Even down to the crimped ring in the center hole and the way the lettering is stamped around it. Also the length of the "rivets" would suggest it was attached to something that was at least 1/4" thick. Based on the size of the two I have, if they do go to a bucket handle, then it would have been a more light weight bucket. All the lettering on my two say is the Patent date. I just tried to google the patent date with a "bucket" and "Handle" key word... would really like to see the patent.

I'll search around for the patent some more and hopefully paste a link to it and then mark this one "solved".

Thanks a ton for all the responses.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back