Easter Hunt - 26 Bronzes, 1 debased SILVER, HAMMERED...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was Friday's hunt on what felt like a warm summers day.8-)
We went back to the Wood Site to mop up the last of the scatter & then noticed that the Copse Field Game Strip has had a deep plough & roll. So we moved over there & were surprised again about how much had come up, in such a small area.:metaldetector:

26 Roman Coins (2 OK - 1 very nice)
Roman Bracelet Frag.
Roman Catch-plate to a Trumpet Fibula
Roman Hair Pin (broken)
Hammered Penny of Ed I, Canterbury Mint, circa 1280s:icon_thumright:
Debased Roman Silver:
Obv: Denarius IVLIA MAESA AVG AD218-20
Rev: PVDICITIA Pudicitia seated left drawing out veil from shoulder with right hand and holding Sceptre in left
Mint: Rome RIC 268 Sears 7756 :hello2:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 53
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 32
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

That's one of the nicest dug Roman bronze coins I've ever seen. :icon_thumright: I wonder how it stayed so nice when others get so corroded. :dontknow:

That's one of the nicest dug Roman bronze coins I've ever seen. :icon_thumright: I wonder how it stayed so nice when others get so corroded. :dontknow:

I know some just bet the odds, never got hit by the farm machinery for starters & its a better quality metal.

Those are some stellar finds...that Roman bronze is museum worthy!

Cru' I saw the other day you were nearing the 45,000 mark on bronzes....how many buttons do you suppose you have? As usual you are killing it! You've got some museum quality finds in my humble opinion .:notworthy:

Last edited:
Wow! :o Would you just look at the detail on this coin, as crisp as the day it was made!
The condition of those silvers is astonishing.

Dave

Attachments

• 5-crop.JPG
    5-crop.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 199
Cru' I saw the other day you were nearing the 45,000 mark on bronzes....how many buttons do you suppose you have? As usual you are killing it! You've got some museum quality finds in my humble opinion .:notworthy:
Nope, no-where near that number, getting close to 15,000.

Buttons = 20,000+

Yup, it's amazing how many buttons have gotten lost over there. I go there for a week and average over 100 buttons in that time. If they are complete or have an interesting pattern or markings of some sort, I keep them. A lot of them are just plain flat buttons with broken shanks. Those get tossed.

Beautiful coinage! :icon_thumleft:

Yup, it's amazing how many buttons have gotten lost over there. I go there for a week and average over 100 buttons in that time. If they are complete or have an interesting pattern or markings of some sort, I keep them. A lot of them are just plain flat buttons with broken shanks. Those get tossed.
Similar here, I keep & sort decorated ones, any plain or 4 hole types I put in a big bucket. Haven't tossed them yet since I started taking them & counting them (for fun).

Well that is a pouch full of loveliness, Cru, congratulations on saving more history. Your hammie is gorgeous too. Sub 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back