East Tennessee arrowhead need help identifing

bluemoose25

Sep 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this arrow head on my father in-laws. I have found tons of arrowheads around his farm but nothing like this one. I live in Tellico Plains TN if that helps any help would be a big help thanks

Attachments

• arrowhead.jpg
    arrowhead.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 426
Upvote 0
Ill guess, Guntersville? Welcome to the site and I would enjoy seeing some of the others you have found. I live maybe 1 hour from TN. rock

Attachments

• 100_3363.JPG
    100_3363.JPG
    299.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Welcome..could you please add photos of both sides a bit closer in good lighting with a size reference ..also one or two up close on the bottom third of the point.

I found the other arrowhead the same day about 200 yards away. Hope the pic's are a little better best I can do thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• IMG-20130926-00240.jpg
    IMG-20130926-00240.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG-20130926-00241.jpg
    IMG-20130926-00241.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG-20130926-00242.jpg
    IMG-20130926-00242.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG-20130926-00244.jpg
    IMG-20130926-00244.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 254
It's really hard to see the flaking in your photos.. while rock could be correct I'm leaning towards Benjamin as they are normally found in association with woodland points and the widest point of the blade is higher than most Guntersville points I've seen.
The basel thinning is also more like a Benjamin with more short flakes removed where as the Guntersville is usually thinned with a couple long flakes.
Now..if that is a small flute on the base it could be something else all together ..but there is a shadow over the point so I can't see contrast to tell much depth at all..but the Basel edge doesn't appear to be ground.

Last edited:
GatorBoy and Rock thanks for the help .That gives me a starting place. There is what looks like small fluting on the bottom part . A little history about the area may better help . the area I live in was part of the Overhill Cherokee. and my father-Inlaws farm sits right on the Tellico River or back then called Great Tellico located in present-day Monroe County, Tennessee, in Tellico Plains, where the Tellico River levels out at the base of the Unicoi Mountains. Great Tellico rose to prominence in early 18th century under its chief, Moytoy. Alexander Cuming, who visited the town in 1730, reported that Great Tellico had the fiercest warriors of all the Overhill towns. The site of the town is located in modern Tellico Plains, Tennessee. Great Tellico's sister town, Chatuga, was also located in the valley. there were two Burial mounds excavated and moved to the Sequoyah birth place museum . around the time they flooded the river. Many thanks to every one how checked out my find I have tons more I will post just getting in to the whole Indian relic thing really neat stuff lots to learn.

Great info..thanks for sharing.
Just want to mention that point is from a time well before the tribe existed.

I still dont know all the types of points I find. Some actually dont even have names just in case you didnt know that. Thats why most of the tiny ones are called Bird Points. I look forward to seeing all of your finds and it sounds like a interesting site you have to look on. rock

All along the Tellico is good hunting. It gets even better as you get down towards the Hiwassee and Tn Rivers. Seems they would choose catfish over trout. I know your area well and I can imagine your in-laws farm is very pretty. The Cherokee were late comers to the area but were the ones we have a written record of thanks in part to the syllabus of Sequoia. Great history and thanks for sharing. Look forward to your finds. Lot of gold in those hills as well.:thumbsup:

Bluemoose - Guntherville is an average sized arrow point, your's is too large and older than that. I think what you have is a fairly generic (not is a bad way) unhafted knife. Generally I'd assume that this is a mid to late archaic blade based on what I generally find in association with them. That being said they may come from a slightly different period in your locale. I'd say about half the points I find don't fit into an established point type, which is the case here. Cool find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back