Early relics-Applied silver annular buckle and my first COB...or maybe not??

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of weeks ago I ventured out to try a new very early plantation permission. I had high hopes of finding some quality relics and was not disappointed; I wish all hunts were this good!

As is usually the case with colonial sites I found a couple of buttons and a brass buckle early on, along with plenty of square nails. Things were looking promising. Then I got a 20 something signal on the Equinox that had that alluring "dig me" tone to it. After about 10 minutes of working my way around and underneath a pesky root I finally extracted the target from 5-6 inches deep. To my pleasant surprise it was an annular buckle with a thin, wide layer of applied silver on the top.

CCC.jpg DDD.jpg

2222.jpg

For those of you not familiar with annular buckles they date back to medieval times, and Whitehead's buckle book gives a date range of 1350-1720. I did a good bit of searching the 'net, including the UK Portable Antiquities Scheme and was unable to find another example with applied silver so I feel comfortable in saying this is a fairly rare buckle. The thin silver layer is an amazing condition considering the buckle's age.

Needless to say I was pretty pumped and felt like if I didn't dig another relic I would go home happy, but of course I kept swinging the coil (lol). Not twenty minutes later I dug another target that I thought might be a pewter button-but it had an irregular shape to it. After I wiped the dirt off both sides and saw that there was no shank on it I looked closer and saw a very faint outline of a cross. That was when I did my second happy dance of the day-I had just dug my very first COB!

mmm.jpg

jjj.jpg

Fast forward to the next day-
The coin had a very stubborn greyish patina/crust on it that was very difficult to remove. I decided to soak it in lemon juice because it was silver and lemon juice wouldn't damage silver. After several soaks I noticed that the silver was disappearing and a distinct copper tint was beginning to show. It was then that I realized that the coin was a contemporary counterfeit instead of a real cob (pun intended). I was disappointed, but at least it was made during the same time period that cobs were minted-so it's still an interesting find.

PP2.JPG

Now back to the hunt...
Other finds included several buttons-one of which was an interesting square shape-and two other buckles

BBB.jpg fff.jpg

I also dug this very early lathing hammer/hatchet; here it is before and after electrolysis and preservation

rrr.jpg 444.jpg

Here are all of my finds from the day's hunt

eee.jpg

Last weekend I did some scouting at another promising old site. The finds were few and far between but were enough to make me want to re-visit the spot.

AAA.jpg

A pewter spoon bowl, a sheet of lead that was folded over twice when I found it, and this interesting lead piece

xxx.jpg vvv.jpg

It looks similar to a bale or bag seal but there are no markings and it is bigger and heavier than any seal that I have found to date. Ideas??

Definitely a fun couple of hunts. Time to get out there and do it again! Good luck to all of y'all-stay hydrated and dig something good.

Last edited:
Upvote 26
That was an awesome hunt. I'd be back there today if it were my permission site. Love the annular button and of course the cob is the find of the bunch. The hatchet/hammer looks like it could be an early roofers tool for splitting and nailing roofing shakes. Congrats!

edit: my reading comprehension has always been lacking. I tend to look at the pictures more than I read. Now I see your cob is a counterfeit. Still a great hunt.

Last edited:
Nice finds...awesome restoration on the hammer. :occasion14:

Wow awesome finds! :icon_thumleft: That is a very good restoration on that hammer. What did you put on the hammer after the electrolysis?

Wow awesome finds! :icon_thumleft: That is a very good restoration on that hammer. What did you put on the hammer after the electrolysis?

Thanks. I sprayed several coats of a type of Rustoleum that is made for gas grills; just before I applied it I heated it with a heat gun to remove any moisture that might have been present.

Great job on restoration and congrats on your first cob even if it's a counterfeit!
The piece of lead you found looks like a flint wrap of a flintlock.

Great job on restoration and congrats on your first cob even if it's a counterfeit!
The piece of lead you found looks like a flint wrap of a flintlock.

Tell me more-what is a flint wrap?

Nice finds. Ive found some cobs but never a counterfeit anything so Id be very happy with that. All the annular buckles in Whiteheads book show the strap bar more on level with the frame like those on spectacle buckle. Not so much applied to the back like yours so not really sure how to date yours. Maybe others from across the pond can chime in on this

Last edited:
Tell me more-what is a flint wrap?

The flint in a flintlock needed something like a cushion when clamped between the jaws. Usually lead or leather. The experts will know the exact name for.
33765210ku.png

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago I ventured out to try a new very early plantation permission. I had high hopes of finding some quality relics and was not disappointed; I wish all hunts were this good!

As is usually the case with colonial sites I found a couple of buttons and a brass buckle early on, along with plenty of square nails. Things were looking promising. Then I got a 20 something signal on the Equinox that had that alluring "dig me" tone to it. After about 10 minutes of working my way around and underneath a pesky root I finally extracted the target from 5-6 inches deep. To my pleasant surprise it was an annular buckle with a thin, wide layer of applied silver on the top.

View attachment 1629449 View attachment 1629450

View attachment 1629451

For those of you not familiar with annular buckles they date back to medieval times, and Whitehead's buckle book gives a date range of 1350-1720. I did a good bit of searching the 'net, including the UK Portable Antiquities Scheme and was unable to find another example with applied silver so I feel comfortable in saying this is a fairly rare buckle. The thin silver layer is an amazing condition considering the buckle's age.

Needless to say I was pretty pumped and felt like if I didn't dig another relic I would go home happy, but of course I kept swinging the coil (lol). Not twenty minutes later I dug another target that I thought might be a pewter button-but it had an irregular shape to it. After I wiped the dirt off both sides and saw that there was no shank on it I looked closer and saw a very faint outline of a cross. That was when I did my second happy dance of the day-I had just dug my very first COB!

View attachment 1629476

View attachment 1629481

Fast forward to the next day-
The coin had a very stubborn greyish patina/crust on it that was very difficult to remove. I decided to soak it in lemon juice because it was silver and lemon juice wouldn't damage silver. After several soaks I noticed that the silver was disappearing and a distinct copper tint was beginning to show. It was then that I realized that the coin was a contemporary counterfeit instead of a real cob (pun intended). I was disappointed, but at least it was made during the same time period that cobs were minted-so it's still an interesting find.

View attachment 1629480

Now back to the hunt...
Other finds included several buttons-one of which was an interesting square shape-and two other buckles

View attachment 1629482 View attachment 1629489

I also dug this very early lathing hammer/hatchet; here it is before and after electrolysis and preservation

View attachment 1629483 View attachment 1629484

Here are all of my finds from the day's hunt

View attachment 1629485

Last weekend I did some scouting at another promising old site. The finds were few and far between but were enough to make me want to re-visit the spot.

View attachment 1629486

A pewter spoon bowl, a sheet of lead that was folded over twice when I found it, and this interesting lead piece

View attachment 1629487 View attachment 1629488

It looks similar to a bale or bag seal but there are no markings and it is bigger and heavier than any seal that I have found to date. Ideas??

Definitely a fun couple of hunts. Time to get out there and do it again! Good luck to all of y'all-stay hydrated and dig something good.

are you sure its counterfeit? ive seen many old spanish coins with copper showing on it that are real, because some of the greedy people making the coin would take some of the silver and add copper in its place so its just a lower percentage silver coin

The flint in a flintlock needed something like a cushion when clamped between the jaws. Usually lead or leather. The experts will know the exact name for.
33765210ku.png

I believe you are spot on. Here is the relic next to a Brown Bess cock mechanism-looks right to me. Thanks for the id!

20180907_172459.jpg

First very well done in all respects. I concur with the description of early silver. I'm sure low grading did occur however silver and copper occur in the same type of rock strata. In my studies related to casting I've learned that older silver might develop a green cast or even blacken more quickly because of a high sulfur content. That's because the smelting processes of old didn't have the knowledge of metallurgical chemistry that was developed in the 19th century. After a few encounters with this phenom I don't cast with anything but 20th century dinnerware, spoons being my favorite. I'd had contemporary silversmiths tell me to never reuse old silver but to trade in for sterling or .999 casting grain. Now I know why.

crabstang-I just had the coin tested by a local jeweler and definitely not silver.

Nice bunch of saves. Congrats. I like what you did with the hammer/ axe head.

Nice finds. Ive found some cobs but never a counterfeit anything so Id be very happy with that. All the annular buckles in Whiteheads book show the strap bar more on level with the frame like those on spectacle buckle. Not so much applied to the back like yours so not really sure how to date yours. Maybe others from across the pond can chime in on this

Here is one from the UK Portable Antiquities database that is similar. They refer to it as having a "sub-triangular" bar. I am definitely interested in information that dates/ids the buckle differently though-I want to get a correct id.

anular.JPG

Heck of a job restoring that iron hammer Glenn, still love the look on your face when you asked me what you had found after recovering the counterfeit. I'm sure a real one will show up in the plug soon

Yeah, I thought I'd scored a big bucket lister but alas... Finding a counterfeit cob is like getting the consolation prize. One of these days though.

crabstang-I just had the coin tested by a local jeweler and definitely not silver.

im sorry to hear that, although thats still a great find, i found a counterfeit 8 escudos cob a while back, wish it were real but it is a period counterfeit. cast pewter with brass plating

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back