Early Pottery and soap stone or what from SE Forida?

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out detecting Sunday at a municipal construction site and found the usual trash and cents.
But in one area I noticed a retention pond and decided to have a look-see for ships and giggles. Didn't find any S or G but did notice there was a nice well-packed sand wall with different layers. Starting about 4"-6" from the top in one small area was some oyster shells mixed in with the soil. I thought this interesting but odd since this area is about 2 miles from any saltwater areas. I continued on but doubled back when I lost the argument with myself about this definitely being nothing.

As I started poking around the shells with my detecting knife I realized some black, flat irregularly shaped items I found earlier were also mixed in among the shells. Varying sizes, shapes and contours and about 1/8"-1/4" thick. When I found some earlier in the hunt I wrote them off as modern trash, probably from a tar and gravel roof. Hot mopped tar and tar paper I thought. No cross-hatching on any of the surfaces like other pottery I've found locally.
Now, the black pottery like items are not very durable so I'm not sure they could be used as pottery in the normal sense. If they are NA and not very durable, could they have been used for storing items instead of cooking or maybe defective pottery?

I did not remove all or even most of the shells and black pieces, but instead removed sand from around the items in the "pit" to outline them and make them more visible. I will say the "pit" is about 3' wide but I don't know how far it extends in the other direction. The bottom of the "pit" is curved and deeper in the middle, like a dug hole.

The second, lighter-colored item was found on the same day in the same area as the black pieces just before exploring the "pit". I think this and the oyster shells are what made me think NA. If I remember correctly it was in some loose oyster shells on or near the surface that had been dislodged by the machinery.
It has definitely been tooled and has cut marks on it. All I can think of is some kind of scraper of some sort. The blunt end is 6x7 mm (+-1/4" sq) and 18cm long. It seems fibrous and turns white when scraped with my nail. I'm not familiar with a lot of natural stone but could this be Soapstone? If so, this wouldn't have been a useful scraper.

Complicating things somewhat is the fact that there was a modern home in the vicinity, judging by a cluster of modern nails and a small piece of old broken asbestos siding about 10' away. I sure could use some help figuring out what I've got and want to thank everyone in advance for any insight. Let me know if more images are helpful.
Be gentle my friends for I have but little experience with N A artifacts, but I do have a curious, imaginative and childlike mind, or so my sisters say! :laughing7:

Attachments

• OysterShellStrata5.JPG
    OysterShellStrata5.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 57
  • OysterShellStrata8.JPG
    OysterShellStrata8.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 58
  • OysterShellStrata8Arrows.jpg
    OysterShellStrata8Arrows.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 56
  • OysterShellStrata5Arrows.jpg
    OysterShellStrata5Arrows.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 60
  • WorkedShaft8.JPG
    WorkedShaft8.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 56
  • WorkedShaft1.JPG
    WorkedShaft1.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 54
  • WorkedShaft16TipFingerNail.JPG
    WorkedShaft16TipFingerNail.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 53
  • WorkedShaft22Tip.JPG
    WorkedShaft22Tip.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 55
  • WorkedShaft18TipFingerNail.JPG
    WorkedShaft18TipFingerNail.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 54
  • GroupB-ImageDetectingArea3Pottery.JPG
    GroupB-ImageDetectingArea3Pottery.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 0
Last one looks like what the welders and metal workers pencil use to mark steel.

Thanks for the quick replies on the lighter piece. It sure does look like an off-color one made of soapstone. The pointed end that was shaped and looking like a fingertip is what got me going I guess.
Now for info on the black items. I'll see about getting some better images.

Here in Florida you can find shells literally everywhere in the entire state since it has been an underwater shallow sea more often than dry. Also construction sites are great places to find artifacts, the point in my avatar being a construction site find. Usually when they are just clearing the site is best but trucked in fill can be full of fossils and have artifacts in it as well. Soapstone in not found in Florida and would be extremely rare. Could be pottery but I cannot tell from pic.

I don’t have an explanation for the black pieces...but in a couple days, I’ll post up some pics of something very similiar.

Thanks to everyone who checked this thread out and especially if you added a comment about the soapstone iron workers pencil or "pseudo pottery". :BangHead:
I received clarification on these black "pseudo pottery" items. Turns out it was the black asphalt-soaked tar paper pipe that was used years ago for quick inexpensive underground pipes. Multiple layers compressed together. The edges will flake off in layers. Wish it could have been authentic NA but at least I saved another dry well from being lost to history. :laughing7:

One of the things that made me wonder was that it was not in a circular form any more, but layered in the pit amongst the shells. The oyster shells acted as a shallow drain field, maybe for a washout area for clothes or sink. The expert I spoke with said it may have been from the 20's.

A few more clear images I tried to post the other day for those interested. (For those not wanting to fall for the same "pseudo-pottery")

Attachments

• GroupOf4PsuedoPottery1.JPG
    GroupOf4PsuedoPottery1.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 34
  • GroupOf4PsuedoPotteryA3Closeup.JPG
    GroupOf4PsuedoPotteryA3Closeup.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 48
  • GroupOf4PsuedoPotteryD2WithScale.JPG
    GroupOf4PsuedoPotteryD2WithScale.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 33
  • GroupOf4PsuedoPotteryD5SideCloseUp.JPG
    GroupOf4PsuedoPotteryD5SideCloseUp.JPG