Early Military Dog Tag? A happy ending!!!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Got permission for a new yard in town today. Apparently their back yard was an old dump site. (love those dump sites). I only got to search for about a half hour before the rain started (with thunder and lighting). I found my second heart horse bridal rosette, a nice little locket, part of a small crotal bell, a latch plate and what appears to be an early military id tag. It is made of aluminum so its later than the civil war. The letters and numbers are hand stamped on and uneven. On the front is the name ALBERT O. RANDALL, and on the reverse is 560393. The disk is the size of a half dollar, which fits the discription of disks from about 1906 or so. If anyone has any information on early dog tags of this type, I would appreciate hearing from you...Thanks...Lance

Attachments

• July 1 2005 finds.jpg
    July 1 2005 finds.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,115
Upvote 0
WTG, Lance! Glade to have helped a little, great job too Kevin! 8)
It just shows that for this hobby to succeed, we all have to work together. HH y'all.

Great thing you are doing Lance, I think a picture posted of the presentation would be a nice conclusion to this story. If you want I will take it for you. ;D

Just checking in from last week,what a great find and story Lance.Great work.HH

It looks like the rest of the story is in the Western & Eastern Sept 2006 issue on page 80-83.

CONGRATULATIONS LANCE!!!

Lance, you did everybody proud in your quest and research! A Hearty Well Done!

have you thought of contacting the military....i am sure some historian would like to make a note somewhere of where this soldier went missing.

Greetings, all. I have been off the beaten path for quite a while but am now staging a comeback. I was originally KevFL, but have moved from the beaches back to the mountains here in NE GA... gold country! So in the interest of being absolutely unoriginal, my screen name is now KevGA.

I was curious if anyone had a copy of the above mentioned story from WE Treasures (Sep 2006). Their online archives do not have it, and having participated in the research I was interested in reading it.

Hope all my friends here are doing well, and welcome to all the new faces.

Kevin

:o :o :o :o 1/2 A big Congrats for all the work you and some others did on getting that Dog Tag back to the family
and its nice to know that the old man made it home after all. MIA, more like Missing in GA. Great job Kevin.
HH. No matter if your Kevfl or Kevga
your the Man!

Desertfox

Awesome job on the research!!
Congrats on the cool find Lance, good luck getting it back to them.
Wonderful thread, it's a great hobby we have huh!

Smiles!
BDoo

Best read I have had in a while! Great stuff Lance. Thanks for doing the right thing. ;)

Great story! This is why I enjoy this site so much.

Comfy I sent you a PM.

I found a rosette just like that in Richmond VA 10 years ago in the middle of a battlefield but have never been able to identify it to my satisfaction. I seen one on a site that come from a group of relic hunters in middle Tennessee. They said it was a confederate piece. At this point Im not sure its even civil war related. Any help would be most appreciated.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back