Early Military Dog Tag? A happy ending!!!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Got permission for a new yard in town today. Apparently their back yard was an old dump site. (love those dump sites). I only got to search for about a half hour before the rain started (with thunder and lighting). I found my second heart horse bridal rosette, a nice little locket, part of a small crotal bell, a latch plate and what appears to be an early military id tag. It is made of aluminum so its later than the civil war. The letters and numbers are hand stamped on and uneven. On the front is the name ALBERT O. RANDALL, and on the reverse is 560393. The disk is the size of a half dollar, which fits the discription of disks from about 1906 or so. If anyone has any information on early dog tags of this type, I would appreciate hearing from you...Thanks...Lance

Attachments

• July 1 2005 finds.jpg
    July 1 2005 finds.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,115
Upvote 0
Re: Early Military Dog Tag?

Cool finds! I don't know if you're just wanting to find out more about the dog tags or looking at getting more information about him. I found a link that tries to return Viet Nam tags and such. But WWI may be out of their league. If you can use it, enjoy. HH
http://www.founddogtags.com/

Wow Comfy!!! You had a GREAT day! ;)

Nice digs!

Find more, dig more, post more!

HH

Lonewolfe

Very nice and especially for only an hour or so. The rain here has been relentless. Good luck with that sight. looking forward to more finds. HH

USED THEM UP TO THE SUMMER OF 1936

Nice relics! HH, Mike

Lance,

Here's a listing of WWI casualties from 1918, your guy is listed down near the bottom as a Private, MIA:

http://www.genealogybuff.com/il/il-chicago-casualties97.htm

Albert O. Randall, West Barnet, VT

Open the page then use the "Edit....Find (on this page)" from your menu bar at the top of your browser to make it easier to see.

Very nice find, perhaps you can find some family in the area?

Kevin

Okay, a bit more.. Albert apparently married Mary Belle Somers in 1918, they had a son, George Everden Randall on January 27, 1919 in St. J

birth record:

http://userdb.rootsweb.com/births/c...//userdb.rootsweb.com/births/&submitter_id=28

marriage record:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~earbar/somers/p22.htm#i6431

George was a 1937 alumni of the Danville schools:

http://www.danvillek12vt.org/Alumni/1930s/Addresses_1.html

Still searching beyond that point.

Kevin

Confy, I love those relics you post.

Great research, Kev. That is so nice of you!

Thank you Kevin for the great research. Apparently Albert got married on Feb 20, 1918, his wife got pregnant and he went off to war and was MIA. Son was born on Jan 17 1919, and never saw or new his father. Son graduated from Danville High School as you pointed out, which is where I live and found the dog tag. But if he was MIA, how did the dog tag get back here??? Unfortunately the Son is now deceased. I will have to see if I can find a grandson or granddaughter. Great information Kevin. Thanks again...Lance

Here is another scan of the tag. At the top you can see the O. and then the RAND

Attachments

• Albert O Randall Dog Tag.jpg
    Albert O Randall Dog Tag.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 946

This is really turning out to be a great story!! :) Really great research you guys! ;)

Get in touch with the local newspaper and give them what you have. A great human interest story and they will probably follow up and find some family for you. Would also be great publicity for the metal detecting fraternity. JIM

Lance,
My pleasure, I'm glad I could lend a hand.

Stoney,
I would think you may have hit on a good lead there; that middle name doesn't seem that it would be very common, and to have it match up with the last name and locale it looks like a winner. Nice job.

Kevin

Kevin and Stoney, Thanks again, I have found several people in the phone directory I will try and get in contact with. I will let you know what I find.

Jim. great idea, we have a small local paper that would love to run with this.

I would really like to get this back to the family. It is part of their history

Thanks again to all of you. I will keep everyone updated....Lance

Well, this story has a happier, but not as romantic ending. Went to church this morning and asked one of our congregation who has lived here for over 80 years if she new this family. Found out that even though Albert is still listed as missing in action, he did come home and lived here for a long time, in the house where I found the dog tag. Aslo turns out that his grandaughter is the lady who lives in the house now who gave me permission to look in the first place. Different last name, and I did not make a connection, not having lived here all my life as many here do. I now know of at least 4 grandchildren that live in the area. I will try to make some arrangement in the next few weeks to get this momento returned to the family. Thank you everyone for the help....Lance ;D ;D ;D

I think thats a Great Ending Comfy. It is Especially heart warming to know that Albert did come home as so many did not. Thanks for a great story for the Fourth of July. HH

Great Ending! ;)

Congrats Comfy and to all others who helped in making this story a happy ending ! I'm sure the family will appreciate the effort. I'd also say to let the local newspaper know of the story. H H !

Huntin' 59er

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back