Early Colonial site relic,much speculation..Anybody?

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found a few of these over the years..Always on early Colonial poor Cellar hole sites..

They have been called Carriage wagon pieces,umbrella relics,Parasol relic..I imagine it to be just to large for and umbrella,although most i found are much smaller than this one..Hoping to get a positive ID..
I took detailed pics notice a V notch for it to lock in..The center is fine-grooved like a spline.And this one had some gilt on it???

Thanks for looking

~Blaze~

Attachments

• unknown relic 001.jpg
    unknown relic 001.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 135
  • unknown relic 002.jpg
    unknown relic 002.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 119
  • unknown relic 003.jpg
    unknown relic 003.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 127
  • unknown relic 004.jpg
    unknown relic 004.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 131
  • unknown relic 005.jpg
    unknown relic 005.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 116
Nice one guys the only thing about this one is it has an almost 3/4 shaft in the center???

Think about that..That is the size of a shaft on a small engine..Way to big for an umbrella..Maybe a wagon mounted cover umbrella?

~Blaze~

Upvote 0
To me they look like lock nut keepers. They were slipped onto the axel after the nut was tightened They were pinned at the top through the axel with a cotter pin and the tabs were bent down over the nut. Keeping the nut secure. My thoughts and right size

Cheers

Upvote 0
They do come in different sizes,what we are looking at may be a top next to a finial.That would have went around the finial pined to the rod.The rod for the push up would be smaller because it would have to go into the finial.I looked at the pictures again its looks likes the holes are broken out where the pin went.Also in the pictures it is upside down. Hope I have helped

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice one guys the only thing about this one is it has an almost 3/4 shaft in the center???

Think about that..That is the size of a shaft on a small engine..Way to big for an umbrella..Maybe a wagon mounted cover umbrella?

~Blaze~

Keep in mind these weren't like today's umbrellas on a thin metal shaft, there were on a wooden shaft, so the 3/4 inch diameter isn't out of the question; also it could have been a fairly large one ie an early beach umbrella

Upvote 0
It s a runner from a parasol - turn of the 20 C.

P1030201.JPG
DCMatt

Upvote 0
To me they look like lock nut keepers. They were slipped onto the axel after the nut was tightened They were pinned at the top through the axel with a cotter pin and the tabs were bent down over the nut. Keeping the nut secure. My thoughts and right size

Cheers

Exactly what i am leaning toward...The splined inside 3/4 shaft..The v notch in one of the grooves tells me this turned and locked in...Like a press ring on a shaft..I still believe its a part to a carriage..

~Blaze~

Upvote 0
Exactly what i am leaning toward...The splined inside 3/4 shaft..The v notch in one of the grooves tells me this turned and locked in...Like a press ring on a shaft..I still believe its a part to a carriage..

~Blaze~

Really?

Attachments

• umbrella parts.jpg
    umbrella parts.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0

Dont look beyond the 2 holes on the side that locks it on rather than slide..I dont see those holes in that pic.Hefty cinch sack had a pic with the holes..I must say all the other ones i found look like the one in your pic..But this one is different in many ways..All the other ones i have the lip inside is rolled not flat and splined..

~Blaze~

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They do come in different sizes,what we are looking at may be a top next to a finial.That would have went around the finial pined to the rod.The rod for the push up would be smaller because it would have to go into the finial.I looked at the pictures again its looks likes the holes are broken out where the pin went.Also in the pictures it is upside down. Hope I have helped
Dont gess anyone read this post.You can make it what you want.

Upvote 0
Dont gess anyone read this post.You can make it what you want.

My apologies for using the wrong terminology. It is not a runner (sliding piece) but a "top notch" secured to the parasol shaft by a pin, as capsmith pointed out.

IMG_0107.jpg

Upvote 0
One other strange fact is everyone only finds that 1 piece..All those moving parts and it always that 1 piece..

Not being cocky but i have seen relics look like other relics but have an entirely different purpose..

But thanks for all your input..

~Blaze~

Upvote 0
"Not being cocky but i have seen relics look like other relics but have an entirely different purpose"..

Well after looking and looking at your item. I now believe it to be a cog from the Cogswell cog Co. and Mr.Spacely and Mr. jetson both agree HEHE. HH
BK

Attachments

• mr spacely.jpg
    mr spacely.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Not being cocky but i have seen relics look like other relics but have an entirely different purpose"..

Well after looking and looking at your item. I now believe it to be a cog from the Cogswell cog Co. and Mr.Spacely and Mr. jetson both agree HEHE. HH
BK

Hey i hear ya man im open minded..:laughing9:

~Blaze~

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back