Early 1800s foundation with possible cache

S M B

Sep 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
On my property I have an early 1800s foundation with a possible cache somewhere under the floor (confirmed via old family records).

My grandfather knew of the cache and bought the property to recover it, but due to a previous owner writing fraudulent deeds, heirs of the original family trying to make a claim, poorly marked property lines, etc, ownership was in dispute for ~50 years. During that time, my grandfather poured concrete (no rebar or reinforcement) over the dirt floor to prevent anyone from digging anything up.

Now that the deeds are sorted out (I hope), I borrowed an older Garret detector and found a few spots near the walls reading in the silver range, which can be duplicated when scanning the same section of the foundation wall from the outside. But being an older machine, it has no depth gauge, and metal identification is sub-par (a horseshoe found outside the foundation was originally identified as gold).

So rather than bring in a jackhammer to dig up ~600 SqFt of concrete just to find a couple horseshoes, which detector would you recommend to get a better idea of the size/depth/identification?

Last edited:
Hi S M B , Ground penetrating radar is probably the only option in this case other than a jackhammer , but will depend on depth of concrete and if there are other targets buried as well , concrete can play hell with modern detecters as far as ground balancing and "Hot Ground " responses .. good luck, cheers Mick

A pulse induction unit with a 40 inch antenna will work like a charm. We have one. You should be able to locate the cache if it exists within a few minutes.

There might be some rebar in the walls.

You might ask about GPR over in the tech forum. I wonder if it will see through concrete.

Last edited:
Nothing is going to ID your target accurately. Any PI detector will pick it up, but they will also pick up junk targets. Possibly a 2 box will pick it up without hitting junk, but that horseshoe is on the border line. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

S M B

Grandfather went to more trouble pouring concrete than just digging out the "treasure". Reckon why
he did that? A sledge is cheaper on unreinforced concrete than fancy electronic gadgets.

S M B

Grandfather went to more trouble pouring concrete than just digging out the "treasure". Reckon why
he did that? A sledge is cheaper on unreinforced concrete than fancy electronic gadgets.

And concrete isn't all that cheap. He must've been confident in the validity of the claims, so you might wan't to rent an excavator and flip that crete right out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back