Attachments

• 06DA66C2-62F1-4D39-BBA0-B8B47B9F50B9.jpeg
    06DA66C2-62F1-4D39-BBA0-B8B47B9F50B9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • 30C42BE4-9FD8-492B-8F27-8731FF996615.jpeg
    30C42BE4-9FD8-492B-8F27-8731FF996615.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
While driving home today.
Turning a curve a eagle was on the road just 25 feet away..
It was incredible to see that large eagle so so close.
It took off and stayed in view then turning to the trees.
Managed to get a couple pictures on the phone
Nice one Bill
I was lucky enough to get some photos this past winter of a pair.

Nice one Bill
I was lucky enough to get some photos this past winter of a pair.
Thanks again
It was such a surprise to come around the curve and see it so close.
It took off from the road straight away and I never seen a eagle with such a large wing span and very wide tail.
It must have been so so nice to see that pair.
We know of a nest way up in a pine tree overlooking a lake and I have to remember to bring the camera next time.
Take care

Bald Eagles are doing very well these days. I still recall the days when it was thought they could go extinct if the use of DDT wasn't band immediately. That sure would have been sad. Thank God we can admire them now just about everywhere. I saw one fly over me riding my bike last Saturday.

After the insecticide DDT was used extensively after the mid 1940s, Bald Eagle populations declined catastrophically. DDT caused the eggshells to become so thin that they would easily break. By 1963, only 417 nesting pairs were found in the lower 48 states. DDT was banned from use in the United States in 1972 and in Canada in 1973, making it possible for recovery programs to be successful. – BH, National Geographic.

Nice pics Bill, always a treat to spot our national bird!
Thanks again
It was such a surprise to come around the curve and see it on the road and take off straight away..
I’ve seen them before from a distance but never from around 25 feet as it had a massive wing span and large tail and the white feathers were so vibrant

Bald Eagles are doing very well these days. I still recall the days when it was thought they could go extinct if the use of DDT wasn't band immediately. That sure would have been sad. Thank God we can admire them now just about everywhere. I saw one fly over me riding my bike last Saturday.

After the insecticide DDT was used extensively after the mid 1940s, Bald Eagle populations declined catastrophically. DDT caused the eggshells to become so thin that they would easily break. By 1963, only 417 nesting pairs were found in the lower 48 states. DDT was banned from use in the United States in 1972 and in Canada in 1973, making it possible for recovery programs to be successful. – BH, National Geographic.
Great research..thank You for sharing
Yes we are seeing more also ..always a special moment
It must have been so nice to see one riding your bike.
Take care

Thanks again
It was such a surprise to come around the curve and see it so close.
It took off from the road straight away and I never seen a eagle with such a large wing span and very wide tail.
It must have been so so nice to see that pair.
We know of a nest way up in a pine tree overlooking a lake and I have to remember to bring the camera next time.
Take care
They were some distance away.
A dead racoon on the ice was the prize.
DSCN1272.JPG

Outstanding
A beautiful moment in time that you will always remember
Yes it was entertaining to be able to get some photos and interactions with the Ravens.
DSCN1332.JPG

Yeah I've seen that scene a few times on the road. Crows all gathered around a roadkill deer and a eagle on top picking away as the crows wait their turn. I once stopped to get a shot, but it spooked the eagle, so now I just drive on by and let them do their salvage work on the many roadkill sights you'll see on the highways. Once I was pulling up to Red River New Mexico late at night and there was a mountain lion munching away on a dead deer on the side of the road.
Fantastic I’m sure that happens often

Yeah I've seen that scene a few times on the road. Crows all gathered around a roadkill deer and a eagle on top picking away as the crows wait their turn. I once stopped to get a shot, but it spooked the eagle, so now I just drive on by and let them do their salvage work on the many roadkill sights you'll see on the highways. Once I was pulling up to Red River New Mexico late at night and there was a mountain lion munching away on a dead deer on the side of the road.
Wow That surly was moments that you will always remember
I hope to see a mountain lion someday

In all the miles I've driven out west I've scene 3 two in northern New Mexico which included this one I mentioned and one that steeped out on the highway far in front of me in Wyoming. It hesitated in the middle of the road as I approached it thinking if it should go ahead and cross the road or go back to the side it came from, which it did. I stopped to see if I could see it again, but it had disappeared into the brush.

In all the miles I've driven out west I've scene 3 two in northern New Mexico which included this one I mentioned and one that steeped out on the highway far in front of me in Wyoming. It hesitated in the middle of the road as I approached it thinking if it should go ahead and cross the road or go back to the side it came from, which it did. I stopped to see if I could see it again, but it had disappeared into the brush.
Incredible moments
You are so so lucky to witness this
Several times

Nice Bill!! They now do winter nesting at Iona Island right below the Bear Mountain bridge and one can see them often on the island in winter. I think they are winter nesting along the river more and more every year. A few years back I was hiking the ridge of Hook Mountain (cliffs on west side if Tappan Zee bridge) and I looked down on two flying around the cliffs. Didn't have a camera but I was probably about fifty feet above them. I also sometimes see them at the State Line Lookout on the Palisades Parkway at the NJ line. Lots of raptors are seen at the lookout over the palisades cliffs, I often see people with huge lenses on cameras waiting for a good shot.

Nice Bill!! They now do winter nesting at Iona Island right below the Bear Mountain bridge and one can see them often on the island in winter. I think they are winter nesting along the river more and more every year. A few years back I was hiking the ridge of Hook Mountain (cliffs on west side if Tappan Zee bridge) and I looked down on two flying around the cliffs. Didn't have a camera but I was probably about fifty feet above them. I also sometimes see them at the State Line Lookout on the Palisades Parkway at the NJ line. Lots of raptors are seen at the lookout over the palisades cliffs, I often see people with huge lenses on cameras waiting for a good shot.
Thank You
At first glance it was incredible to see this beautiful large eagle so so close.
It took off straight away so I had a chance to see the large wing span and the white feather’s were so vibrant.
Happy to hear that you have some great places to watch them.
Take care

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back