Dug gold 14K shirt stud and other Civil War finds, Tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John and I started out the day getting permission to hunt another spot, but found nothing. We ended up back at another site we hunt quite often.
We were digging lot's of bullets and towards the end of the day I moved to another field and dug this gold shirt stud, I thought it was just a modern overall button because it was getting dark, and i couldn't see it very well.
I got home and cleaned it and was really surprised. On the back it say's Krementz 14k. I did some research and found that Krementz started in 1866, making shirt studs cuff links, and other mens accessories.
John had a great day as well, he dug a nice bullseye blanket roll buckle. He will post his finds later. Hope you all had some luck this weekend as well! Tim

Attachments

• 14k stud, knap sack hook.jpg
    14k stud, knap sack hook.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 860
  • 1-13-08 finds 1.jpg
    1-13-08 finds 1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 834
  • gold stud in hand.jpg
    gold stud in hand.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 826
  • krementz.jpg
    krementz.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 948
  • carved bullet, teardrop.jpg
    carved bullet, teardrop.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 843
Upvote 0
Sound's like my weekend Tim.....First place was a bust but had to go to a back-up farm field.Sweet job on the 14k,don't see many gold stud's coming out of a CW field.All around keeper's in my book.Thank's for sharing...very well appreciated on this end.HH and keep em' comin'....

Awesome find Tim, congrats on the rare gold! I have never seen one in gold. HH, Mike

Bavaria Mike said:
Awesome find Tim, congrats on the rare gold! I have never seen one in gold. HH, Mike

Thanks Mike, do you know the approximate time they started using the 10k, 14, 24k, stamps on jewelry? Were they not doing it during the Civil War? You cannot make jewelry out of pure gold because it's to soft, at least thats what I read somewhere. Tim

Great finds...by the way gold just closed over $900 an ounce for the first time.

NJ

Tim,
Very nice CW relics. Love the gold stud. I have one, but it is copper or brass. I had no idea what it was until lately.
Congrats,
MM

SWR said:
Nice group of finds. Any way to get a close up of the glass item, bottom left corner?

Thanks

glass.jpg

SWR, here is a cropped close up you wanted.

Fantastic finds, Tim! :o That gold piece is awesome!! Congrats on all those great finds!!

Nana :)

G-man can I come and live with you? I would love to find stuff like that. Congrats and good luck on your next hunt.
Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back