Dug a Draped Bust Half Cent - and It's My First!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somehow a half cent had eluded me before I found this one on Friday! It's a draped bust half cent! It's from 1808, but as I was cleaning it, the date sort of faded away, but at least I know what it is. It's not in the best of shape, but I'm happy with it!

Fresh from the dirt:

halcentdug.jpg

After cleaning:

halfcent2.JPG

halfcent1.JPG

Some different lighting:

halfcent3.JPG

halfcent4.JPG

This was found at the same house where I made some remarkable discoveries last weekend:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/644868-large-cent-silver-crazy-shoe-buckle-discovery.html

VTColonialDigger

Last edited:
Upvote 33
Very nice find and at least you were able to get a date off of it!

Thank you Wildcat, I was definitely glad to be able to see a date on it, even if it's hard to see now.

Very nice VT!!! My last few coppers had dates then dried and nada!! Part of the game I guess, congrats brother, great job!!

Thanks Joe! Coppers are tricky to clean for sure. Have had quite a few come out not so nice over the years.

Congrats on a rare find !
Good to hear you could read the date - I've also had a few dates vanish while carefully cleaning old Copper coins !
Thanks E-Trac-Ohio, interesting that this seems to be a more common occurrence that I thought. It must be something to so with certain soil types.

What a beautiful coin with a heck of a lot of history. Nicely done!!
Thank you washingtonian, it's crazy to think that at one time half a cent was worth something!

Big time Congrats for knocking that one off the bucket list!
Thank you Jeff! I was thrilled to finally find one, they are such cool coins!

Thank you Calabash Digger!

Excellant find, Congrats on it being your first, well done and thanks for sharing!!! "D"
Thank you Possum, it was a great experience to dig one of these at last!

congrats..:occasion14:
Thanks Park pirate!

Sweeeet! I found a 1854 Large Cent with my middle son years ago. One of the best memories I have with my kids. He was so stoked!

Congrats, brother!

Thank you metaldiggr, that's a great memory to have for sure, makes that 1854 Large Cent extra special.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back