Dug a Draped Bust Half Cent - and It's My First!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Somehow a half cent had eluded me before I found this one on Friday! It's a draped bust half cent! It's from 1808, but as I was cleaning it, the date sort of faded away, but at least I know what it is. It's not in the best of shape, but I'm happy with it!

Fresh from the dirt:

halcentdug.jpg

After cleaning:

halfcent2.JPG

halfcent1.JPG

Some different lighting:

halfcent3.JPG

halfcent4.JPG

This was found at the same house where I made some remarkable discoveries last weekend:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/644868-large-cent-silver-crazy-shoe-buckle-discovery.html

VTColonialDigger

Last edited:
Upvote 33
Congrats on the Draped Bust

Weird how they show a date/detail as soon as they're (copper) are dug-then later on zippo.

Congrats on the Draped Bust

Weird how they show a date/detail as soon as they're (copper) are dug-then later on zippo.

Thank you pepperj! Like you said, sometimes with coppers, it's very difficult to clean them as once they dry out, details can be lost forever.

Congrats on your first. It certainly won't be your last.

That's a very sweet coin, regardless of the condition. At least you can give it a positive ID. Congrats to you.

Nice early copper.....I would take it even with no details remaining:thumbsup:

Very nice find and at least you were able to get a date off of it!

Very nice VT!!! My last few coppers had dates then dried and nada!! Part of the game I guess, congrats brother, great job!!

Congrats on a rare find !
Good to hear you could read the date - I've also had a few dates vanish while carefully cleaning old Copper coins !

Big time Congrats for knocking that one off the bucket list!

Excellant find, Congrats on it being your first, well done and thanks for sharing!!! "D"

Sweeeet! I found a 1854 Large Cent with my middle son years ago. One of the best memories I have with my kids. He was so stoked!

Congrats, brother!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back