Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I went back to an old home site where I found a 1849 Seated Dime and a 1898 Barber Quarter last Fall.
The house was torn down over 60 years ago and all the cut Sandstone from the foundation was hauled away.
The area was Brush Hogged last Summer but the large clumps of grass made for some tough swinging.
Did a very slow two hour grid search of the area - only found one coin - but it's a good one.
1865 - Last year of the of the Civil War - Lincoln's assassination - it really makes you think about history.
I've been lucky enough to find (8) Two Cent coins - almost all of them are in very nice condition.

Good Hunting !

Attachments

• 1865 - Two Cent - 2.JPG
    1865 - Two Cent - 2.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 1865 - Two Cent - 4.JPG
    1865 - Two Cent - 4.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 53
Yesterday I went back to an old home site where I found a 1849 Seated Dime and a 1898 Barber Quarter last Fall.
The house was torn down over 60 years ago and all the cut Sandstone from the foundation was hauled away.
The area was Brush Hogged last Summer but the large clumps of grass made for some tough swinging.
Did a very slow two hour grid search of the area - only found one coin - but it's a good one.
1865 - Last year of the of the Civil War - Lincoln's assassination - it really makes you think about history.
I've been lucky enough to find (8) Two Cent coins - almost all of them are in very nice condition.

Good Hunting !
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!

Good Hunting !
That's great!! In all my years detecting I have never found a 2 cent coin!! Down here we never had more than 1 cent! :laughing7:

Nice recovery on the 2 cent piece, it's in great shape with lots of detail left. Congrats 👏
This coin is in even better condition than shown because of low grade photo.
All the detail is still on this coin - the small lettering "In God We Trust" in the ribbon is 100%.

This coin is in even better condition than shown because of low grade photo.
All the detail is still on this coin - the small lettering "In God We Trust" in the ribbon is 100%.
That's why I commented on the condition as I put it through a photo editing and lightened up the pictures a tad to bring up the quality.
The patina on the coin is great as many will have a good side, but the other gets the build up of crud.
Just dug the images out of the trash bin. :laughing7:
Screenshot_20240201_075520_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240201_075513_Chrome.jpg

That's why I commented on the condition as I put it through a photo editing and lightened up the pictures a tad to bring up the quality.
The patina on the coin is great as many will have a good side, but the other gets the build up of crud.
Just dug the images out of the trash bin. :laughing7:View attachment 2129050View attachment 2129051
Thanks for the "tune up" on the photo's !

Many 2 Cent pieces seem to survive in nice condition. The Indian Heads of 1864 to 1909 do not do as well but have the same metal composition. I've always felt there HAS to be some difference in the metal content. Nice coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back