Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bad weather here so it's time to do my annual cleaning of last seasons finds.

A goofy story about a junky find ...

I was hunting at 1800's farm house last Fall and I got a nice hit in the Wheat Cent range.
Ended up pulling (7) Wheat Cents (1941 to 1953) out of one hole that was only 6" in diameter.
The only other thing in the hole besides the Wheat's was this small piece of rusted steel ?
Thought about it on the way home ... "that's probably a rusted 1943 Steel Wheat Cent".

Anyway, I think many of us have dug Steel Pennies before but we had no way of telling what they were.
I think this is what they look like.

Good Hunting !

Attachments

• MAH - 1943 - Steel Wheat Cent - 4-23.jpg
    MAH - 1943 - Steel Wheat Cent - 4-23.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 20
Wow, now you have me wondering. I had a rusted piece like that a few weeks back in that yard that I dug 35 wheats in. :dontknow:
I put it in Evaporust overnight but still couldnt get to an image if any. I then grew impatient and tapped it with a ballpeen hammer. It broke a chunk off, so I threw it in the recycle scrap box.
Thanks for the post. :thumbsup:
MM

I was hunting at 1800's farm house last Fall and I got a nice hit in the Wheat Cent range.
Ended up pulling (7) Wheat Cents (1941 to 1953) out of one hole that was only 6" in diameter.
The only other thing in the hole besides the Wheat's was this small piece of rusted steel ?
Thought about it on the way home ... "that's probably a rusted 1943 Steel Wheat Cent".

Anyway, I think many of us have dug Steel Pennies before but we had no way of telling what they were.

Good Hunting !
Sweet! I have five of them that I've dug over the years with 1940s spills... pretty much the only way to find them. The first one confused me, too!
Nice find.

Good Hunting !
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Nice going buddy :) Is that what steel cents should look like ? :)

I agree. The first one I found was in a spill of a bunch of wheaties, like 20 of them all in the same hole. Two of them were stuck together with a rusty object the same size and all the other coins were around the 1943 date.
I have one I dug in a drained lake that I believe is a steel cent, but finding it all alone and no way to confirm makes it a guess.
The one stuck to a merc would be a fun find.
Thanks for posting and HH ALL.

Same thing, kind of. Dug a "steel" German coin, ONLY because it was in the same hole with a dime. Otherwise, had it been sleeping there by itself, it would still be there.

Good find! Try cleaning that one with a toothbrush :laughing7:
Looks like if I try clean it - it will just fall apart.
I just put it in a Coin Flip to remind me in the future what they look like. :BangHead:

I dug a couple 1940's coin spill in the past and they both had one rusty disk the size of a penny included.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back