pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now from having the D1 for 5 yrs or so and putting enough hunts and time on the machine it was the go to in the stable of detectors.

I bought the D2 last fall and have had all the updates including the 1.10 version.
Strange that there seems to be many videos/comments on the previous versions-but not a hell of a lot since the patch came out.:dontknow:

Not that I am a big fan of videos of folks slagging other folks so their options get more clicks than the others.
(Maybe they just want to generate a little $$$ for the pocket instead of actually going out digging dirt)

I have a site that I do a return hunt once a year and it's usually July 4th.
Church site in the woods-foundation is still there-still not hunted the actual spot as they tore the structure down all the metal roofing pieces and trash got spread around the spot.
Now that it has treed over for the last 50+ years it makes cleaning it up a rough go.

So in behind the church structure was the grounds-bush basically and it has produced a good amount of recoveries to the point the 2 previous years I recovered no coins.
These 2 return hunts were using the D1 with the HF elliptical coil, and spending approx. 8-10hrs of detecting time at the site.

Once again I returned this July 4th for the annual hunt. I wasn't really going to go but I had a 2 hr no find cellar hole hunt down the road on the permission, and decided to try one more time for a keeper.
I stayed in the general program, pitch, 97 sensitivity, disc and everything the same basically as what one would have turning on the machine and going.

I hit the area of the bottle caps and turned up the disc a tad, and the silencer as the old bottle caps can be on the surface down to 6" and I have removed 100's over the years.
The area must of been the concession booth for sodas during the get togethers as all the caps are in a 40'x 25' area-a blanket of them.
The little silver nickels(fish scales) are buried in and around the layers of caps.

I recovered my first good signal-1941 penny then a 1929 quarter sitting 10ft away from the cap blanket. Next was the 1911 5 cent piece, and then the 1800 LC. I finally got another coin small cent after a hour of detecting.

So the take after 2 hours of hot/humid detecting I called it a day. Temps were 93F feeling like 107F so with the Deer flies/ticks/mosquitoes wearing a bee suit helmet it wasn't a comfy time for sure.

My take on the new machine version 1.10 one the previous version and over the D1 machine is that it in fact recovered more targets through separation/multi freq. technology.

The slagging of the D2 vs a cheaper machine has been well noted by a few on the forum over the years. (can't justify spending the money) and they justify that with "well where's all the banner finds" I'm sure a lot of the readership have read these reasonable justifications.

This site is under 1 acre in size, 8yrs of return hunts, and probably 12 hunts and a total of 50 hrs of detecting time given to this site. I would say I have gone over it pretty good as first few years hunting were with the Minelab E-Trac, and then the D1 for the next 5 yrs.
It has given up around 35 coins 1835-1945 and out of that 12 silvers so it's an old friend I'd classify the site now.

I was thinking of notching out everything up to 80 but trying to work the settings with sweat dripping in the eyes, bugs biting any uncovered skin isn't/wasn't a happy option.
I know there's more coinage/bits of other relics/jewelry at the site and time will tell.
Not sure if the new patch version really is the end all solution to the 1.0 version as I still am digging nails that are coming up in the mid 80's range. I probably wouldn't od dug them if they were in another site, but the chances of a deep little nickel is too tempting not to dig and find out.

The 1911 Fishscale was an impressive depth, where I'd say the D2 shown, where the 1929 quarter wasn't deep at all but sitting on a rock it seemed. So was that the reason for the other machines not seeing it? I certainly had gone over that spot every trip over lapping the coil swings by habit. I don't swing fast as what most do in videos as the site conditions restrict fast swinging in the first place.

It goes the same for the the 1880 LC, recovered off the trail where it's nice and flat with no sticks or other forest debris. I have gone over the same spot for 8 yrs every hunt.

So in conclusion I will say lets throw the sluggers comments out with the dish water. If in fact new D2 machine can sniff out 5 more coins from a little site in the woods-then I will put it out there as it being the machine's capabilities mainly.
20230704_113010.jpg
20230704_113026.jpg
20230704_113707.jpg
20230704_113656.jpg
20230704_190826.jpg

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great write up Pepper!!!! Those are the ones I enjoy reading. I'm waiting on the D2 (like I did for the D1) for results and working out bugs. Like you said, not a cheap machine but IMHO the best tech out there. My settings on the D1 are close to yours so that helps with the thgt process. I'm getting closer by the day on up grading to the D2, but won't pull the trigger until I'm back mobile again. Thx again for the thoughtful write up!!!

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great write up Pepper!!!! Those are the ones I enjoy reading. I'm waiting on the D2 (like I did for the D1) for results and working out bugs. Like you said, not a cheap machine but IMHO the best tech out there. My settings on the D1 are close to yours so that helps with the thgt process. I'm getting closer by the day on up grading to the D2, but won't pull the trigger until I'm back mobile again. Thx again for the thoughtful write up!!!
I have only hit my hard hit sites with the D2-nothing new. I find that so many folks buy a new machine go to a new site and score a keeper and are all :headbang::hello2::notworthy: it's "The machine rocks!"

I think really how do they actually know that the new machine is any better than a average detector at the site?
The true answer is they don't-nor will they really know unless the machine is tested side by side with the go to machine on every target.
That or go to a hard hit site and see what it can sniff out.
I have put an effort in going to the same sites that I have detected for 10 yrs,
using the Minelab ETrac/CTX 3030/Deus 1 before the D2.
One site is a couple of acres on the large size, and 2/3 of an acre on the main part and I have put 100's of hours detecting in the iron with the other 3 machines combined.(test site for a new machine)
Yet the D2 opened up the site once again where I have gotten a few LCs, buttons, and relics.
In total I have detected and recovered 50+ more non-ferrous targets out of the site.
I would say some of the targets might of been a miss,(sloppy swinging) but the chances are slim as I go real slow, overlap 50% on the coil, and have done every angle one does to get a keeper out.
So I mark it up as the D2 did 40 out of 50 just because it's a better machine.

Still I am a newbie on the machine, but the familiarity of sounds are becoming more noticeable to the ear. There are unlimited amount of combinations one could use for the machine if inclined to go into the brain.
I pick basically a couple of programs, play there for 100's of hours on each one, then picking the best one for my type of hunting.
I am really thinking of getting it wet this year. I have 1500 ft of sunken walkways/warf/dockage that was used for a 100yrs along our frontage, the water isn't deep, but the finds are buried a good amount as the silt/slab wood debris is on top.
I will be wearing good shoes or boots while doing this as hte broken glass and metal is well noted from digging in and around the waters edge.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on revisiting old site. Here in Indiana our sites are limited so you have to hit the same sites year after year. That's where I seen the diff from my T2ltd to the Deus. When you spend some much time on a site you learn where the zones are. Good luck on getting it wet!! Not much of it here lol but like the fact it's wet proof for sudden rain storms. Wish the backphones were tho.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly haven't used my D2 much, my knees have given up on me. When I went to the old, beat up sites the one constant I noticed is the D2 still pulled nice stuff out of the worked out sites.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly haven't used my D2 much, my knees have given up on me. When I went to the old, beat up sites the one constant I noticed is the D2 still pulled nice stuff out of the worked out sites.
Nice to see you're still around Smokey!! Been wondering where you've been hiding. Sorry to hear about the knees!!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So in conclusion I will say lets throw the sluggers comments out with the dish water. If in fact new D2 machine can sniff out 5 more coins from a little site in the woods-then I will put it out there as it being the machine's capabilities mainly.
Great info here! That's how I judge a new Detector. If it finds me stuff the others missed. The XP DEUS II for sure fits that category.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great info here! That's how I judge a new Detector. If it finds me stuff the others missed. The XP DEUS II for sure fits that category.
I have detected some sites now with 5 different machines-yes each machine sniffed out more than the previous machines did in the series. ( Now thinking of the Explorer line SE/ETrac/CTX) Then getting the Deus l and it was like never really detecting the site before actually.
Then after 5 years of pounding I went there with the Deus ll, and was still able to pull out a few more keepers, but probably 40 dig signals.
In the scatter area of the sites the Deus l seemed to have cleaned up pretty well overall.
But in the heavy signal area (iron patch) it really showed its worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread