Drive by this all the time and wonder , is it?..Or isnt it?

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Drive by this all the time and wonder , is it?..Or isn't it?

I live in an area where several Indian Mounds have been found. I believe it's 17 along the Illinois River.

I drive by this corn field very often and I alway's wonder if this could be one.

I know there have been alot of arrowheads found all around this area, and there is a small river within 1/2 a mile.

I have aerial views from 1952, and 1940, that show the same mound.

The rest of the terain is corn fields and flat as a pancake for many square miles.

Any thoughts? The one's I've seen I believe are taller, but I don't know if there are different kinds.

Thanx!

Attachments

• DSCF0590.JPG
    DSCF0590.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
  • DSCF0591.JPG
    DSCF0591.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
Upvote 0
Not all mounds are tall but most are flat on top. Yeah ask permission Im waiting on some yeses to come my way. I have had 1 yes but waiting on the time frame that was given for me to go. I have heard plenty say no. Good Luck

Could be. It may also be the hill from a house that sat way back off the road ( do you see any pull in places ) or could be some natural roll to the land. I would do what the others suggested. Get permission & walk it.

It's my understanding that surface hunting mounds is not very productive, and digging them is mostly a no-no because there may be human remains.
They consecrated the mounds for whatever reason, but didn't inhabit them...so no surface finds.
A farmer I know that has a mound confirmed this....what he did do is find a large village site within a half mile of the mound that was replete with artifacts.
Find the nearest high ground near a water source and start looking there.

Kind of hard to tell how big the ridge is in your pictures. I'm assuming that your referring to the long rise in the background, which I'd guess is at least several hundred feet accost,leading me to think that it's a geological formation. But that could of been a high ground magnet for NA Americans.
Where I'm at in Illinois (the Illinois river drainage basin) Fulton County,mounds range from 6-8 feet in diameter to a 100-150' in diameter,usually round or oval,sometimes rectangular
or even square like the Ogden mound,shaped like a pyramid,not to mention some effigy mounds.
Just as others have already mentioned (although there have been exceptions) most surface finds are not found close to or on mounds but rather on camp sites or kill sites.
Keep in mind that the mound builders make up only a short period of the prehistoric past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back