Drill?

Huskerhunter

Aug 5, 2011
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this drill in SE Nebraska, but it seems like it was meant to be used as a pin or something. The base is worked all the way around and is ground smooth, but the business end is uniface and shows no visible wear and tear that one would expect to see on a drill. Itā€™s the third drill that Iā€™ve found and itā€™s the only one of the three that is uniface. Could this be a pin or is it just an un used drill? I am baffled as to why the base would be worked and ground so smooth on a drill that is uniface. Any input is appreciated.šŸ¤˜

00D2A4BD-5E4F-4C8B-9BDC-6CCE869208E5.jpeg

C9E8743B-E908-4F3A-A764-7038EE8AA297.jpeg

17F45861-C490-46BA-8FD5-95F76D34F3B0.jpeg

Upvote 0
I think itā€™s a resharpened knife as well. Sometimes knives were resharpened many times, to the point where the blade can get narrow enough to begin to resemble a drill in form, but was still being used as a knife. Sometimes to exhaustion, as perhaps is the case here.

I have drills found where the edges are worn from use, and drills which are not worn.

Those with sharper edges could have been knapped to resharpened after use.

Similar to a first stage relic as opposed to a resharpened example.

I would suspect this example was a larger blade, resharpened over time to the current drill form. I think a pin or peg example would not have a hafting base.

Its has some great patination.
Do the huskers still spoil your party? I had big dreams for the BB team this year. Couple transfers from same team, transfers are different tjing nowdays

Pretty heavy bevel angle on that piece combined with uniface...if it didn't have a base it would be a scraper woi. I think with a base it's a hafted scraper at that point in the continuum of usage.

Pretty heavy bevel angle on that piece combined with uniface...if it didn't have a base it would be a scraper woi. I think with a base it's a hafted scraper at that point in the continuum of usage.
Agreed that uniface with the bevel is to prevent the scraper edge from chipping off too easily.

Another possibility is that it was a big ole clunky point that suffered a major fracture at the tip and was then reworked into its current form. Just my impression.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back