TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at a yard sale years ago and discovered that I could look up the name of the artist and information on this,
but I could never identify the Title of the painting.
This appears to be the real deal, this is on BOARD not CANVAS which is what I thought it was.
I have ALWAYS liked OIL ON CANVAS paintings so there is no doubt I picked this up because of that...
only I never pay more than $10-20 for painting simply because there are so many and I never had much money...
But some of his other works are listed in the $1,000's of dollars so I was hoping someone could give me more information about this specific piece of art ? And maybe it's value ? thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPEG
    IMG_0013.JPEG
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0014.JPEG
    IMG_0014.JPEG
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0016.JPEG
    IMG_0016.JPEG
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0015.JPEG
    IMG_0015.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Nice picture. This from the ā€˜mutualartā€™ website:

Donald Ricks was an American Postwar & Contemporary painter who was born in 1929. Donald Ricks's work has been offered at auction multiple times, with realized prices ranging from 120 USD to 4,973 USD, depending on the size and medium of the artwork. Since 2000 the record price for this artist at auction is 4,973 USD for Grand Tetons - Fall, sold at Jackson Hole Art Auction in 2018. The artist died in 1996.

That particular work is just titled ā€œRosesā€ but, beware, because in addition to being offered as a standard art print, it has also been offered as a simulated oil painting. Here, for example:

Roses.jpg

Although that particular offering has a ā€˜canvas transferā€™ (not board) at about $100, with the option for additional brush strokes to be added for about $25 to improve the realism, it may have also been available on board. I wouldnā€™t give a view on authenticity/originality from photographs.

Hope you have the real deal, but it needs examination in person.

Donald Ricks was an American Postwar & Contemporary painter who was born in 1929. Donald Ricks's work has been offered at auction multiple times, with realized prices ranging from 120 USD to 4,973 USD, depending on the size and medium of the artwork. Since 2000 the record price for this artist at auction is 4,973 USD for Grand Tetons - Fall, sold at Jackson Hole Art Auction in 2018. The artist died in 1996.

That particular work is just titled ā€œRosesā€ but, beware, because in addition to being offered as a standard art print, it has also been offered as a simulated oil painting. Here, for example:

View attachment 2174210

Although that particular offering has a ā€˜canvas transferā€™ (not board) at about $100, with the option for additional brush strokes to be added for about $25 to improve the realism, it may have also been available on board. I wouldnā€™t give a view on authenticity/originality from photographs.

A question I would have is whether they sign his name to these or not, mine clearly has a signature but these are replicas or copies, would they have some indication of that ?

View attachment 2174210

Clearly the paint addition is evident as it's on top of the R.
Screenshot_20241015_183656_Chrome.jpg

A question I would have is whether they sign his name to these or not, mine clearly has a signature but these are replicas or copies, would they have some indication of that ?

Yes, it's common for reproduced works to include the original signature since the start point is a photograph of the original.

Good spot! So, yes, it's a paint-enhanced print for which the brushwork would not be by the original artist.

View attachment 2174245
Very interesting, I did not notice that, what I can tell you is that its clearly NOT a print, whether they took a print and
painted over it I can't tell you, but its NOT on CANVAS, which is what I thought when I bought it, but after following some online information to check what material was used, I discovered that it is on a BOARD, which I did not know they used until then... (online it said that he mostly used boards for his art) The paint is heavy and off the board, like it stands out off the board not like a regular painting, but put like it was paint pasted onto the board into the shape of the flowers and items that you see.... as if you looked at it from the side, instead of a flat painting its as if your looking at a mountain range of colors and wave caps of colors, that form the artwork. Its quite impressive actually,
Of course that doesn't make it real ... but I'm just saying.

Last edited:
Yes, it's common for reproduced works to include the original signature since the start point is a photograph of the original.

Good spot! So, yes, it's a paint-enhanced print for which the brushwork would not be by the original artist.
And just for the sake of argument, who is to say that he didn't sign it first then add a few touch ups and a dab got there ? I will take a closer look at those spots and see what I can see, in the pictures it kinda looks like a touch of paint is missing... maybe not painted over, but I can't tell..
I haven't taken extremely good care of it, as I really didn't know it might be worth something until recently.

Very interesting, I did not notice that, what I can tell you is that its clearly NOT a print, whether they took a print and
painted over it I can't tell you, but its NOT on CANVAS, which is what I thought when I bought it, but after following some online information to check what material was used, I discovered that it is on a BOARD, which I did not know they used until then... (online it said that he mostly used boards for his art) The paint is heavy and off the board, like it stands out off the board not like a regular painting, but put like it was paint pasted onto the board into the shape of the flowers and items that you see.... as if you looked at it from the side, instead of a flat painting its as if your looking at a mountain range of colors and wave caps of colors, that form the artwork. Its quite impressive actually,
Of course that doesn't make it real ... but I'm just saying.
You can justify even wearing a cheap pair if sunglasses.
Art is so mass produced.
Redcoat explained it perfectly.

It's the type of art Sears sold in the art section in the department stores.

It's value is below a limited edition print.
They sell for below $60.
You want to believe this is worth 4 digits, but you're going to getting the lower tier 2 digits.

It's the type of art Sears sold in the art section in the department stores.
Really ? How do you figure that ?
I put it here because I don't know, and I have the painting in front of me. I'm no art professional I will admit that, but I have been buying hand paintings on canvas for years, and this is no ordinary painting... its not like any of the other
"Dimestore" artworks that I have. I said it looks different because it is different, I NEVER said it was real !!
But truth be told, you can't make that determination from a photograph anymore than I can, simply because I have the painting in front of me, I was looking for advise and he gave me good advise and I appreciate that advice. You noted something that I didn't see which might indicate that its a fake.. And that was a good point, but why make trash comments like this, ? Sears isn't even in business anymore, and I don't even know if they sold art...
whatever :dontknow:

You can justify even wearing a cheap pair if sunglasses.
Art is so mass produced.
This is in fact SO TRUE !! I agree 100 %

But there have also been MULTIPLE examples of people finding something of great value at yard sales and estate sales for bargain prices only to later discover that they have something of great value...
You don't think its possible to happen to someone on Treasurenet ? Just because so many of them are MASS PRODUCED doesn't mean they are ALL MASS PRODUCED :dontknow:šŸ¤£

50 cent - $1.00 purchase of a garage sale painting.
Sold to a antique/collectable store on Queen St west Toronto for $1200.

He sold it for $14k to an art dealer in Los Angeles CA.

They put it up for auction and the hammer price was over a $Million

I read the newspaper article at the door.

I asked him how he felt about all of that.
"I never make that much money off of a single deal in my life, nor will it happen again.

If sell something and you get your price, never regret that.
I never regretted making that much money."

I learned a valuable piece of knowledge that day. I still live by those words today in the buying and selling.

Not wishing to rub it in, but just a few other things to consider...

When it can be established that a painting has been commercially reproduced within the copyright period for the work, it's generally not a good indicator for the possibility of the original turning up at a yard sale or in a thrift shop.

The company (or companies) making the reproductions will have come to an arrangement with the artist and frequently this means that an art studio making prints has actually purchased the work. In that case, retaining it would be usual.

Although you say it's painted on board, looking more closely it appears to me to be canvas-textured board and that may be why you originally thought it to be on canvas. With a bit of checking, it seems that at least some of Ricks' work are oil on board, but I couldn't find one on canvas-textured board.

It would be a less usual choice for most high-end professional artists working in oils. Those wanting this texture usually prefer actual canvas (especially for larger works) and those not wanting it use plain board. It is however a commonly used material for quality prints simulated as oil paintings.

Put all that together with the apparent paint splash over the signature and I think that makes a good case for this being a print.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back