Don in SJ- Update- A few from my Military Career

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rather recent photo of me(Oct 2006) while we were taking our lunch break on a non-detecting Field Trip exploring an old saw mill pond and several homesteads from early 1800's.
I have been detecting since 1979, when while bow hunting I eyeballed my first old coin, a 1740 King George II halfpenny laying in the loose sugar sand on the side of a old stage road. That piqued my interest in metal detecting, I previously had detected with a Heath-kit I had built, but never realized at the time that such old coins and artifacts were in my area to find.
Now many years later, the hobby has been very rewarding to me an I have enjoyed finding what I have and had the side benefit of one of my sons being my best buddy and hunting partner for the past 20+ years.
Don in South Jersey :)

Attachments

• GibsonFive2.jpg
    GibsonFive2.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,961
Re: Field Trip Guide :) Don in SJ

Hey there Don. I believe we spoke in the chat room the other day. Welcome!! I'm in Cookstown, near McGuire. Perhaps one day we can get together to sling some dirt.

Nice to see ya, Don. You always post such fantastic finds that I can only drool over. :P

Talk to you in chat. :)

Hiya Don,

Great to see you. You look like a rugged, outdoors guy...fits the description of a field trip guide. I've read some of your posts...all very interesting finds. It's always nice to chat with you in chat.

;) RR

Well, since most of my working life was spent in the Military, decided to show the last four photos taken before my retirement. I also added one from the beginning of my USAF career. :)

The one with the gals, is from a training deployment to Alpena Michigan, nice area, enjoyed seeing the Black Squirrels that inhabited the air base there.

The one with the group of guys in front of an aircraft, well, that aircraft is in the BoneYard in Tucson Az, was the aircraft I was responsible for maintaing for about 8 years. I'm third from the right.

The other three are from Prince Sultan Air Base , Saudi Arabia, before the second Iraq war.

The Black and White at the bottom is one from a long time ago, when I was an aircraft maintenance instructor at Chanute AFB, Illinois. Standing, 3rd from the left.

Don

Attachments

• Alpena Mich0005.jpg
    Alpena Mich0005.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,722
  • F106BTucson.jpg
    F106BTucson.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,719
  • PSABDON1.JPG
    PSABDON1.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 1,696
  • PSABDON2.JPG
    PSABDON2.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,669
  • don Saudi0002.jpg
    don Saudi0002.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,649
  • Don1966.jpg
    Don1966.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,605
Don,

Nice to put a face to the friendly one. I've just about got the book worn out. Thanks again for the info. Love reading your posts! Keep up the good work!

great to see you don! thanks for your service in the military as well. ;)

Hey Don,

It's great to see that you have a passion for what it is that you've acommplished !

On Wednesday last week I was headed down to the Trop. on business when all of a
sudden 2 fighter jets came screaming past and over the parkway.

It was a sound of reassurance that we as a country have security in mind.

Good luck in your searching the long forgotten locations that you have in mind.

Regards,

Glsfutrs

Great pictures, Don. I especially like the first one....somehow it doesn't surprise me. You're always surrounded by hot chicks, aren't you? Just like in the yakroom! ;) :D ;D :P

Mona Lisa said:
Great pictures, Don. I especially like the first one....somehow it doesn't surprise me. You're always surrounded by hot chicks, aren't you? Just like in the yakroom! ;) :D ;D :P

Why Thankyou ML, ;) I cannot think of anything nicer than being surrounded by all hot chicks, including in the yakroom. :)

Thanks, for your service to our great country, from a fellow vet.
Fossis..........

Don, good pics, they sent me down memory lane. From the Tan 1505 uniforms, Chanute AFB (my tech school), all the way to Alpina and my favorite "The River Club", and of course the Sand Box. From another USAF Vet with 31 years of service and counting, Thanks for your service to our nation, and hope to join you on the retirement rolls soon.

Tom

Don how did i miss this pic?Peachy you bad for posting dons legs.From now on it will be Don of SS not Don of SJ :D

Forgot. Don all pics are property of Tnet. 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back