Does anyone post vintage glass bottles found while MD'ing?

JB Hunts

Dec 21, 2023
I'm starting to pay attention to old 1800's/early 1900's vintage glass bottles found MD'ing over the last year during my beach hunts. Most bottles are broken and are just washed up and found while I'm hunting. A few bottles however are found completely in tact!

A couple of bottles have been wedged into the sand, but a most bottles I'm finding right after major storms..

The designs and shapes are endless and offer an up close illustration of early Americana that I think is very adjacent to digging old coins...

Some of the more interesting glass bottle finds are a late 1800's /early 1900's "Formamint Tablets" amber bottle used for dust and throat irritation/bacteria, with cap still in tact... Zaney old medical cures for sure which was likely cutting edge at the time!

Another bottle is one that I dug a few months ago while swinging the coil, which from what I understand is the gold standard for vintage bottle Americana-- the cobalt blue apocatherpy medicine bottle-- this one from Squibb Medical Division with a "patent 1925" mark at the bottom.

And this Weekend I found a vintage condiment bottle with a unique loop design at the top of the bottle that just screamed vintage as soon as I found it laying on the sand.

I've also posted some other vintage glass bottles designs-- some with brand names that of course no one has heard of as 99% of these companies are no longer in business! One bottle is for malted milk, and another cobalt blue bottle is a late 1800's Milk of Magnesia bottle.

While not as exhilarating as finding old coins, many of these bottles that I've found are really neat snapshots into the era of quirky medical cures, extinct Americana products, and great industrial design!!

Just like coins, these are creative designs which are really cool to look at from he "I've never seen this" category!

Please share your thoughts on if anyone else has found these great glass bottle slices of early Americana while MD'ing!

Photos attached for more comments!

HH! JB

Attachments

• 20240211_165753.jpg
    20240211_165753.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 176
  • 20240211_165220.jpg
    20240211_165220.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 81
  • 20240211_165228.jpg
    20240211_165228.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
  • 20240211_162518.jpg
    20240211_162518.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 79
  • 20240211_165345.jpg
    20240211_165345.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 71
  • 20240211_124849.jpg
    20240211_124849.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • 20240210_101411.jpg
    20240210_101411.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 79
  • 20240210_152727.jpg
    20240210_152727.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
  • 20240210_145200.jpg
    20240210_145200.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Upvote 33
Lately I've been digging in shallow ash dumps. Not more than 6 inches to a foot deep. One is done, other goes pretty far. It seems people would pull a cart along path and dump their stove ash. Sometimes, ash with cans, bottles and other stuff.
There's a lot of earth moved around down by the side of the Rio Grande where we are, various ditches and embankments, there's these mounds in various areas that have obvious old objects poking out of them, they're a good place to dig and detect, a lot has come and gone in the last 400 years, I typically find old relics laying about down there. We're aware of 3 different bottle dumps down there but stuff under the ground pops up due to various causes pretty often. We come across takers basically every time we dare to stroll the woods along the river and the acequias. It's very satisfying honestly. Typical finds date from the 50s but in some spots you find older goodies. Lots to dig

Why are they caked this? Was it a thing of the era ?
"Case bottles were designed with flat sides and tapered bodies so that they could be packed into cases and crates for transport more efficiently than cylindrical bottles. As the object's common names imply, gin and other spirits were the most common contents stored and shipped in case bottles."

This one would date 1880-1890

There's a lot of earth moved around down by the side of the Rio Grande where we are, various ditches and embankments, there's these mounds in various areas that have obvious old objects poking out of them, they're a good place to dig and detect, a lot has come and gone in the last 400 years, I typically find old relics laying about down there. We're aware of 3 different bottle dumps down there but stuff under the ground pops up due to various causes pretty often. We come across takers basically every time we dare to stroll the woods along the river and the acequias. It's very satisfying honestly. Typical finds date from the 50s but in some spots you find older goodies. Lots to dig
Ah. I only know one disturbed ground digging spot. Drainage canal with water run off piping that accidentally hit a dump. They refilled the ditch dug to put in a long run of drainage piping with dump dirt so it's all mixed up. Ranges from 1880s to 1950s. Extra dirt spread along one side of canal. It's often wet and muddy in there. Better place for smalls and marbles because a backhoe went through a lot of dirt. Too loaded with iron to detect. you aren't allowed anyway on public property in that county. Someone probably left a mess and got the hobby banned. I go with boots, a bucket, mini 3 prong rake and soil knife and just scrap at the wall. Unfortunately not often enough. It's an hour drive. Nice iron stone white ware plate, 1890s early 1900s Elmer Burnham medical tonic bottle and a few odds and ends. Lot of 50s condiment jars to pick through Unfortunately.

Ah. I only know one disturbed ground digging spot. Drainage canal with water run off piping that accidentally hit a dump. They refilled the ditch dug to put in a long run of drainage piping with dump dirt so it's all mixed up. Ranges from 1880s to 1950s. Extra dirt spread along one side of canal. It's often wet and muddy in there. Better place for smalls and marbles because a backhoe went through a lot of dirt. Too loaded with iron to detect. you aren't allowed anyway on public property in that county. Someone probably left a mess and got the hobby banned. I go with boots, a bucket, mini 3 prong rake and soil knife and just scrap at the wall. Unfortunately not often enough. It's an hour drive. Nice iron stone white ware plate, 1890s early 1900s Elmer Burnham medical tonic bottle and a few odds and ends. Lot of 50s condiment jars to pick through Unfortunately.
Yeah, technically these places we come upon are public property as well, no extraction of "resources" but the reality here is that the city only sort of cares. The biggest and oldest bottle dump here is actually listed as a local point of interest and folks are constantly excavating there, massive deposit, it's public property too. I think the city may send in back hoes to help pull up the glass for folks to find, they definitely go in and cut down the vegetation periodically so folks can get to it. We haven't been harassed fortunately. We do a lot of foraging and gathering in various settings where we probably aren't supposed to but we avoid damaging things and we're very discreet about it.

Actually I'm pretty excited about the coming summer, we'll be up there at the high altitudes studying the insect life and wildcrafting for ourselves and our little red squirrel, we keep her well stocked on pinecones. the warm seasons are for the mountain, woods, the shears and the spade. Gather medicinal herbs, different sort of treasure hunting.

Yeah, technically these places we come upon are public property as well, no extraction of "resources" but the reality here is that the city only sort of cares. The biggest and oldest bottle dump here is actually listed as a local point of interest and folks are constantly excavating there, massive deposit, it's public property too. I think the city may send in back hoes to help pull up the glass for folks to find, they definitely go in and cut down the vegetation periodically so folks can get to it. We haven't been harassed fortunately. We do a lot of foraging and gathering in various settings where we probably aren't supposed to but we avoid damaging things and we're very discreet about it.
Nothing better than public property + old relics to find. A great combo. Post some photos!!

Nothing better than public property + old relics to find. A great combo. Post some photos!!
Only stuff I've saved from disturbed dump, minus a few shards I saved for a few mosaic stepping stones I made. Though the figural pipe was neat even though bowl is busted. Bottle is from Elmer Burnham co. Took a while to id the ELB on the base. Plate is actually American. Made in Trenton,NJ. Americans liked British ceramic so much a lot of the Trenton companies would make their marks look very British in order to better position themselves in the market.

Attachments

• 20240218_094722.jpg
    20240218_094722.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240218_094733.jpg
    20240218_094733.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Only stuff I've saved from disturbed dump, minus a few shards I saved for a few mosaic stepping stones I made. Though the figural pipe was neat even though bowl is busted. Bottle is from Elmer Burnham co. Tool a while to id the ELB on the base. Plate is actually American. Made in Trenton,NJ. Americans liked British ceramic so much a lot of the Trenton companies would make their marks look very British in order to better position themselves in the market.
That's a really cool diamond shape bottle scar. What's the history to it?

Only stuff I've saved from disturbed dump, minus a few shards I saved for a few mosaic stepping stones I made. Though the figural pipe was neat even though bowl is busted. Bottle is from Elmer Burnham co. Tool a while to id the ELB on the base. Plate is actually American. Made in Trenton,NJ. Americans liked British ceramic so much a lot of the Trenton companies would make their marks look very British in order to better position themselves in the market.
I see it now reading your post
Really cool history!

That Elmer Burnham Medical Tonic bottle is beautiful! Great find!

That Elmer Burnham Medical Tonic bottle is beautiful! Great find!
Thanks. They don't seem to be really common bottles. It's circa 1900.

My parents owned a rock-antique-bottle shop back in the sixties (Brewster, Washington). Subsequently, we spent many a summer wandering northwest ghost towns deserted in the 1800's. We even dug the Butte, Montana dump.

Many were the times we used metal detectors to locate dumps for our bottle digging ventures.

A lot of the above pictured bottles are the same as ones yet stored in my step van.

First time, or are you very experienced at vintage bottle collecting ??
Just saw this my apologies.
I have a small collection of bottles. I like the older coke’s 1940s or older and if I’m lucky enough to find a cork top not broken I will save it. I have one cork top and a couple of old coke’s. Most are broken when I find them but once in a while I get lucky. My oldest Coke is 1910 blob top straight side.

Just saw this my apologies.
I have a small collection of bottles. I like the older coke’s 1940s or older and if I’m lucky enough to find a cork top not broken I will save it. I have one cork top and a couple of old coke’s. Most are broken when I find them but once in a while I get lucky. My oldest Coke is 1910 blob top straight side.
Love older Coke bottles! Post photos! JB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back