Does anyone know the Date of this coin?

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of the back. I found this in New Hampshire while visiting my brother. The front is so badly worn I don't think I will ever be able to know the date for sure. I am glad the back is different on this style of Lage Cents.

Attachments

• unkown.jpg
    unkown.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 691
Upvote 0
WOW, that didn't take long. I will post the front but unless you look really hard you can't see the *79*.

Attachments

• unknownf.jpg
    unknownf.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 675
Looking under the wreath there appears to be the number 1. If that is present it would indicate that the large cent was minted between 1793 and 1807. These coins had the denomination marking 1/100 under the wreath. This was discontinued in 1808. To narrow the range in dates down, look at the obverse and determine which portrait of liberty was used. The style changed many times while the reverse remained the same.

Looks to be a 1795 Liberty Cap Cent to me...date is visible if you look hard enough...I found one last year. :)
Great find! ;D

Congrats and HH,
Hank 8)

outraged said:
Im no expert but i would guess... Draped Bust Cents 1796-1807
Regular Strikes
Err, I'm good with that...

Keep diggin'...

OK, I have been cleaning (with Olive Oil) and rotated the picture a little bit so you can start to see the date and the face. I also included a picture of the Large Cent series this falls in.

Check out the nose on the 2nd picture, if you compare the nose to the crude in the 1st picture you can see the nose line.

Attachments

• 1798-5.jpg
    1798-5.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 446
  • large_cent_1798_s163_obv.jpg
    large_cent_1798_s163_obv.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 405
OutBack Duo said:
OK, I have been cleaning (with Olive Oil) and rotated the picture a little bit so you can start to see the date and the face. I also included a picture of the Large Cent series this falls in.

Check out the nose on the 2nd picture, if you compare the nose to the crude in the 1st picture you can see the nose line.

I'll play.
My guess is 1799.
index21.jpg

i hate it when large cents come up looking so corroded. :-[ i found this one the other day. unfortunately its the same way on both sides. this is after electrolysis! it was even worse before! at least you can see some detail on yours. looks like it was clipped to make change at some point as well. congrats on a cool find!

Attachments

• 07-10-2007 07;34;27PM.jpg
    07-10-2007 07;34;27PM.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 334
1799. Hit the nail on the head there. Nice work!

Buckleboy

I guess its open to interpretation but I think it says 1798. I put a penny under one corner in hopes to see it better, let me know what you think.

OBD

Attachments

• scan0006a.JPG
    scan0006a.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 349
i'm guessing 99 because the hole on the 8 is smaller
then the hole on the 9 and to me the holes look the same.
but of couse I'm guessing. ;)

[/quote]

I'll play.
My guess is 1799.
index21.jpg

[/quote]

looks like '89 to me. At any rate it is in that area.

The only thing is lc weren't made before 1793.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back