Do You Record Your Finds?

kindafoundabuckle said:
BuckleBoy said:
Old Dog said:
Be careful where you take the Notes you make. Not everyone is honest .

Thom
Old Dog

This is GOOD advice. I know that some folks would love to get a hold of my journal...that's why it never leaves my sight.

-Buckleboy

I helped write that journal and have some of it memory! Im now taking bribes............

You DOG! LOL.

I dig mostly lumber camps deep in the woods and I mark the location on a topo map with the date that I was at the site. I also put a tag on all items that I haul out to where they came from

These are all great ideas. I totally agree about keeping your records private. The good thing about keeping detailed notes is eventually you will have a very important piece of historical data that many generations could enjoy down the road.
I appreciate everyone replying to this thread.

I keep a journal and a clad counter for the year. they are really just for me to help me remember where I found things. I have that old age disease "CRS" ...can't remember shit!

Hi all,

I am new to Treasure Net but have been metal detecting for many years.
I recently purchased a Minelab Explorer XS and just love it.
I am also work as a computer programmer and have started writing an application for recording and tracking finds. It is about 75% completed and tracks: Date of find, City, State, Location, object, depth, detector used, soil conditions, comments, and the ability to add up to 4 photos.
It is getting late but if anyone is interested, I will post some screenshots later.
I am not planning on charging anything for application at this time (this will be version 1.0) but may do so in the future. If anyone would like a copy of the program to use, when it is completed, all I would ask is for your feedback....like any issues/bugs you find with it, or valid suggestions of how to make it better.

- Bob

Bob,

I would like a copy of your software....I collect programs ;)
Thanks,

Timberwolf

Not much on using computer programs and
the like.

I smoke a pipe so I use lots of matchbooks.

Any records I keep are printed on the inside
of the matchbook.

matchbooks (Small).JPG

O.K. for me. Makes life less complicated. ;)

(by keeping records this way, I end up with a nice
collection of matchbooks) ;D

have a good un...........................
SHERMANVILLE

TreasureTales and Timberwolf.....I have put you both down to receive a copy of my program when it is ready to be tested. Also...TreasureTales I have noted your suggestions. This is the kind of feedback I am looking for.....thank you.

I am including 3 screenshots....

Main Screen: Allows you to view individual entries from a particular location OR entries for All Locations as shown. The columns are sortable by clicking on the desired column header.

Details Screen: Displays the details for whichever item you select from the list by by double-clicking on your selection.

Photo Enlargement Screen: Accessed by double-clicking on one of the photos on the Details Screen.

Keep in mind that this is still in development and can/will probably change before it is completed.

I can't say right now when this piece of software will be finished because as I receive valid suggestions, I will be selecting the most popular ones to incorporate into the program and some may be included in version 2.0. These modifications will take some time to add. Please be patient.....I think you will like the finished product.

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 300
  • details.jpg
    details.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 293
  • dime.jpg
    dime.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 301
Saysitall,

Thank you ;D

Do you know of a program that would keep track of the treasure leads that I am working on? This would be something that I could really use.
Currently I photo copy or scan my material, then print it & put in in a binder.

I would much rather have the info on my PC....and just encrypt it, and put encrypted copies in other places. Even if someone steals my PC, I would still have copies of my encrypted data.

Thanks,

Timberwolf

I keep an annual log on my flashdriver, the last thing I do at the end of the year is set up the next years files on it. Several years ago I posted all that was recorded and some felt it was overkill. Basically there is a daily log to list locations and totals for that day file, annual gold file for each of us, annual silver file for each of us, junk jewelry file for each of us. A by county annual gold and silver jewelry file. A location file by county that lists the type of site, the facilities and even the type of Play area composition. A token, silver, wheat, foreign coin file for each of us. I also in May of everyyear set up a file of summer locations for June July and August, these are always smaller sites that can be hunted fairly quickly because of the North Carolina heat. I would say find something you like and use it. I lost my 2000 files a few years ago but still have the 2001-present files on the flash driver. I will go through some of the older years logs to see if I a forgetting any sites. Before using my computer, I used to record basically locations on index cards. We do a lot of driving in search of Eldorado, good thing Bobbie and I get along so good ;D .Good luck with your recording
hh
dave+bobbie

Timberwolf - Sorry.....but no.....I have never run across a program like you described.

TreasureTales - I have already added 2 of your suggestions. The GPS Latitude/Longitude and whether the location is Private or Open. The known legal restrictions could be entered in the Comments section. Once again, Thank you for your input.

At this point in the development of this application, I think I will take some time to scan thru some of the posts on this site to see what other ideas I can come up with for the program, like maybe a reporting function for total finds for any particular year and possibly the ability to dump the data out to an Excel spreadsheet.

I have to be a little bit careful in how many changes I make to the program, because once the snow is gone and the ground thaws.....I plan to be spending a lot of time out detecting <grin>.

I have been logging everything Using Google Earth. It allows me to see where my finds are at a glance. It also allows me to place detailed information such as depth, and ID readout. I can also add a link to the photo, as I keep a photo record as well.

Attachments

• Finds.JPG
    Finds.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 262
Neil,

Google Earth is pretty cool...I use it at work on my company computer.

However, Google Earth requires Windows XP or higher to operate, and I do not use XP at home, for security reasons ;)

I still use Windows ME at home :)

TW

Here is a program that will do what you want...

I-Detect Software from:

http://www.ginkgoware.com/

YOU CAN TRY IT FOR FREE FOR 14 DAYS

Can't really beat that, free is free, with nothing to lose.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Thanks Johnny,

I does look like it will do what I want :)

Timberwolf

My method is not as sophisticated as others on this board but it does the job.

I will take a closeup of the find and then print it. the print then goes into my finds book.
then the pic goes into the directory on my computer.

HH

Ralph

Attachments

• SnapShot-1 (512 x 384).jpg
    SnapShot-1 (512 x 384).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 171
  • LOG-2.JPG
    LOG-2.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 177
  • LOG-1.JPG
    LOG-1.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 180
I RECORD EVERYTHING, DATE, PLACE, TIME, CONDITIONS, WEATHER, ITEMS
JUNK, DIRT, HOW MANY , VALUE - CURRENT AND FUTURE, JUST THE MORE YOU
RECORD THE MORE KNOW LATER WHEN YOU RUN OUT OF PLACES TO HUNT YOU CAN GO BACK OVER YOUR NOTES AND FIND THAT PLACE THAT WAS OFF THE RADAR FOR SOME TIME AND GO BACK AND HARD AND HEAVY

M L HUDSON

Attachments

• 04234.jpg
    04234.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 04234.jpg
    04234.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 130
I don't record them per se other than photographing them and putting the date under the picture. I don't photograph clad until I have a big pile of it. Then I put the amount under the picture. I have a program I won at a meet called i-detect, Metal Detecting Journal but I have just never used it. I guess I should since it was free? Monty

I have used a journal for 15 years (working on my seventh 150-page journal now). I record the date, time, weather, ground conditions, types and quantities of recoveries, and locations. Locations of the finds are very important. Before GPS units came out I used a Brunton compass to get directional readings for triangulation. I will often pace off distances (or use a tape measure) to known landmarks on an aerial photo of the site. I record details of every artifact I recover; bullet types, button types, coins, jewelry, nails, screws, horseshoes, and often the modern trash. I'll record the difference in percussion caps; fired or unfired. I'll record if bullets have pull marks or carvings, etc. It's all important information, especially when you're removing artifacts from a future national historic site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back