Do You Record Your Finds?

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250
I was curious how everyone records their finds. Do you document each key find so you will know about where you found it for future reference? or do you not record anything. I am starting to record my more significant finds and noting any features of the spot I'm hunting with pictures and GPS coordinates so 10 years from now if I go back I will know where things used to be. This way I will know if the site was productive or not.
Is there any type of software out there to purchase?

I did really good logging all my finds until June when I got disillusioned about the hobby. Then I let it slip. I have pictures of all my finds in my book but no stories per se. I am going to start back with the details so that I can look back at what I found where and know where to return.

When you first start it isn't that big a deal but I reviewed my finds and my log and I just about fell over when I realized that I had hunted over 62 places last year!!! I would have never realized or remembered most of the places I had hunted.

Haven't found any software but sure would love to buy a good package if it existed.

I never saw the need to record where I found whatever.

I keep a journal of what I found and where--not usually as specific as GPS coordinates, but sometimes I hand-draw a map of the site in the journal and mark finds. This helps me in several ways. First, one might think their memory will always be fresh--but after 15 years of this hobby and countless sites, that isn't gonna be the case. Now, the REAL strength of having a record is that you can tell how long you hunted a site in the past, what was found there, what your machine was set to in terms of discrimination levels, etc. It helps you get a sense of what to expect should you return. When I return to areas I hunted as a newbie, or previous places I've lived, I always get out the journal for a refresher course. I keep other notebooks and journals for research. I don't know of any computer software that does this, but I'm sure you could do a simple spreadsheet of some kind. I just have an issue trusting digital data. I'd rather have the journal to carry with me--no power source needed.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Great info. Those are some good tips to remember. I did print off a spreadsheet with the basic info on it. I will keep it in a folder to take along on the trip. The only reason I was thinking GPS was to locate old houses, cellars, wells etc since most of these will be torn down over the years. That way you would always have a record of where it once was.
Thanks for the replies. Its always good to brainstorm on here.

Yeah the MAIN reason I kept a journal is for the fun of it. Looking back and reading my journal last night I remembered the fun I had some of the funny things that happened and who knows maybe some day I might just write a book about it.

I have been thinking about buying a GPS unit. What kind do you recommend??

mastereagle22 said:
Yeah the MAIN reason I kept a journal is for the fun of it. Looking back and reading my journal last night I remembered the fun I had some of the funny things that happened and who knows maybe some day I might just write a book about it.

I use a handheld Magellan. Its about the size of a cellphone and they are relatively cheap. I think we got this one from Wal-mart. It is simple to use. I use it when I go deer hunting in the mountains and for many other uses. Its kinda like a 4 wheel drive pickup, its worth the money if you ever need it.

acedigger said:
mastereagle22 said:

I use a handheld Magellan. Its about the size of a cellphone and they are relatively cheap. I think we got this one from Wal-mart. It is simple to use. I use it when I go deer hunting in the mountains and for many other uses. Its kinda like a 4 wheel drive pickup, its worth the money if you ever need it.

I agree about the Magellan. I have an old unit that is the size of a wireless telephone, but my buddy has a fancy new one with a color screen and 3D option. :)

Certainly handy!

-Buckleboy

I keep a simple journal with date, place and what was found. I also like to put my good coin finds in 2x2 coin flips. I date them and write where they were found. This is fun because when you look back on your finds you can better recount the hunt. One thing I haven't been recording that would be good info is the amount of time spent for each hunt.

I use an Excel spreadsheet at the end of the year to tally my finds.

2006totalsA.jpg

Cladpiechart.jpg

Bob

Thats a nice professional layout. Easy to keep track of things and see how you did the previous year.

The more replies I get the more the wheels in my head start spinning.

Yes I too keep my "keepers" in coin flips. I have a few tokens in some, all my silver and wheat pennies and my ONE IH!

And my Excel layout looks about like yours with the exception of the good coins! :( Haven't found too many coins I would say are "good" and NO halves.

mastereagle22 said:
Yes I too keep my "keepers" in coin flips. I have a few tokens in some, all my silver and wheat pennies and my ONE IH!

And my Excel layout looks about like yours with the exception of the good coins! :( Haven't found too many coins I would say are "good" and NO halves.

Eagle - The charts I included for 2005 & 2006 are Nate and I's finds combined. Up until sometime in 2006 we just threw all our finds together. Now we have separate records and totals.

Bob

I have only kept short term records when attempting to clear a sports complex of canslaw and tabs over a period of time. Sometimes I wish I had a nice spreadsheet presentation so I could tell more precisely what places and activities had been most productive. Even a quick log would be valuable for improvement.

R M P T R

Acedigger , Here is a link to a free trial version of a detectors journal software. I looked at it and its pretty good as for as recording details of hunts ,finds locations and so on. It's $25.00 if purchased online and 29.00 if you order the cd. Check it out. I have no affiliation with this product but Im thinking about buying it and it looks good to me......HH...Rich

http://www.download.com/I-detect/3000-2130_4-10776426.html

A journal is best! Someone may be interested in that journal in the future - like a family member. Also - there are times that i will take a coin or token and make a rubbing of the image on the paper with a pencil. It gives you a visual of what you found at that location. It is also inspiring to look at. Keeps you motivated!

bavarian

We have not done too much MDing for coins and such in the usual places.

We have done a lot of Spanish markers and monuments
The easy way to do this is to use a topographical Map and a hand held GPS.
when a new sign or monument is found take a GPS reading. transfer the reading to the map along with the date..

99 times out of 100 nobody will know what the marks on the map are.
So there is really not a problem with someone figuring out what you are doing.

The other thing to do is to Photo the devil out of everything.
I have found more studying pictures than I have walking.

Journals are good but too many details can be written down.
books get laid down and sometimes forgotten.
I have returned several.

Be careful where you take the Notes you make. Not everyone is honest .

Thom
Old Dog

mastereagle22 said:
I did really good logging all my finds until June when I got disillusioned about the hobby. Then I let it slip. I have pictures of all my finds in my book but no stories per se. I am going to start back with the details so that I can look back at what I found where and know where to return.

When you first start it isn't that big a deal but I reviewed my finds and my log and I just about fell over when I realized that I had hunted over 62 places last year!!! I would have never realized or remembered most of the places I had hunted.

Haven't found any software but sure would love to buy a good package if it existed.

ME,

I have an older program that you can use for recording your finds.
It is a DOS prog. but will run under WindowsME...don't know about XP or 2000 (I don't use those home).

The print funtion works...the trial versions of other progs. on the net, normally won't let you print unless you buy the software.

This program is called T-K Finds...and it is free. You can download it from my website here:
http://myweb.cableone.net/thewitness/T-K Finds.zip

It may not fill your needs...but if it does...the price is right ;D

Tom

Old Dog said:
Be careful where you take the Notes you make. Not everyone is honest .

Thom
Old Dog

This is GOOD advice. I know that some folks would love to get a hold of my journal...that's why it never leaves my sight.

-Buckleboy

Helo said:
Acedigger , Here is a link to a free trial version of a detectors journal software. I looked at it and its pretty good as for as recording details of hunts ,finds locations and so on. It's $25.00 if purchased online and 29.00 if you order the cd. Check it out. I have no affiliation with this product but Im thinking about buying it and it looks good to me......HH...Rich

http://www.download.com/I-detect/3000-2130_4-10776426.html

I just got this program free for buying a Minelab. Haven't checked it out yet. But like you said, it looks good.

I have been using MS Excel for about a decade now and love the system, I do slap myself for not recording my relic finds like I do my coin finds, but it is just a mental block on my part. :)

The nice thing about this Excel spreadsheet is the ease of use, the SORT ability. If I want to sort by year or by location and year that is all possible.

Also, I have color coded the year by century, Black 20th - Green 19th - Red 17th and & 18 Centuries The Red really stands out for the early year coins.

I have a Location sheet, no ya can't see it but it is listed at the bottom as another page in this record "book". I use those #'s as my cross-reference.

I then mark a flip-it , using my template I made up for printing them on Matte photo paper. And on the flip-it I put the needed information, including that Site # and Date found amongst the weight data and what the coin is.

This system has worked very well for me and no complaints about how it works, I like it!!

Don

Photos attached, a portion of my Excel Spreadsheet of my coin finds and one Flipit example

Attachments

• Finds Record.JPG
    Finds Record.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 388
  • coinflipexample.jpg
    coinflipexample.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 386

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back