Display case felt adhesive advise

I just take the manufactures foam out and replace it with this felt covered foam. it works just like the manufactures foam and it comes in several different colors. I buy it from person I buy cases from. 100_6496.JPG

Spray adhesive would work I imagine. I might spray it and let throughly dry open for a couple of days to let all of the solvents and chemical smells evaporate. Not sure if it would be an issue but I wouldn’t want my relics smelling like chemicals.

I haven’t had any issues with broken relics, but I did have a near miss when the corner of a piece of the foam got sandwiched and stuck to the wood. When I opened the frame after a bunch of years it lifted up shifting the relics. Pretty sturdy relics, but there was a lot of flint on flint clanging. The late great George Looney did have a disaster at a show where a breeze picked up the corner of the foam when he opened a frame in the parking lot. A couple of broken relics as I recall.

Cox Cases have a thin, fabric that came with my frames. I like it more than foam.

I think spray adhesive for upholstery would work. I've attached vinyl to a door panel with it before with no problems.

I quit using the colored foam inserts years ago and I suggest anyone that is using them to stop as well. After a few years the material will start to break down and as it does it will adhere to artifacts. It sticks to Bone and Shell pieces worse that Flint but it will stick to it too. I switched to a layer of felt over the foam pads used for thickness in the tray and everything holds really well, even the small pieces like Beads.

Nothing in this tray moves or slides when it's closed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    628.7 KB · Views: 40
First, get your backboard that you will be putting in the frame, Second, then get a filler or cushion the same size as the backboard, Third, get yourself a cover that the artifacts will be seen against. make sure that it overlaps the filler and backboard so you glue it to the back of the backside of the backboard. Make sure that you make it somewhat snug. Align your artifacts and put it in the glass frame. This way there is no glue near the artifacts. This might be a way you could go?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back