Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what this is. Looks like silver. About the size of a dime but a lot thicker and definitely not a modern style.

Veiled lady on the obverse with what looks like L.CENSORIN, On the reverse Somebody driving a chariot and C.LIMEA and under that R. CRERVSI. I guess that's Latin.

Any thoughts appreciated.

roman1.jpgroman2.jpg

That was FAST! I'll weigh and measure mine to see if it's real or not. Never know these days. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I agree with 'villagenut'
P. Crepusius, C. Mamilius Limetanus und L. Marcius Censorinus, 82 v. Chr. Denar (3,74g). Mzst. Rom. Vs.: L CENSORI, Büste der Venus capite velato n.r. Rs.: III / C LIME[TA] (teilweise in Ligatur) / P CREPVS, Venus in Biga n. r. Cr. 360/1b; Syd. 736a.

Estimate: 350 EUR
Don......

[TD][/TD]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Definitely the same coin. Mine is about 2.5 grams but passed a silver test (the liquid test kits you get.) Weight disturbs me a little.

Upvote 0
It is silver plated over brass. I understand the Romans actually did this with a lot of their coins. FYI It's pretty and didn't cost much.

Upvote 0
Found out this one is new also. That's 3 of 3. Luckily I had very little invested in them as they came in a large collection of other stuff I was able to do ok on.

Upvote 0
Modern fake, ancient fakes were a lot closer to the original coin weight.
It looks like a cast copy, is there a seem on the side.

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back