Digging every target in a forgotten gold mining town (gold coin)

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks

Merry Chistmas

Over the last year, I've been metal detected in the main street of a forgotten mining town.

Most of the buildings in the main street were freestanding wooden structures that were removed in the 1930s. The town is located on the shale bank between to gold anticlines. There was a hotel, a church, several general stores and a chemist shop. At the end of the main street was an orchid. Mostly built of the side of a hill with good drainage.

Over the last six months I've been there numinous times and dug every target and inched my way through heavy mineralized ground. Often only covering 100 square meters in a whole weekend.

Interesting collection of relics which include a half gold sov. 1904 with surrounding chain, Caledonia society fob from 1890, WWI British peace medal civil, some gold and aprocrathy weights including a rare crowned British weight and two American and a few pins and badges. Best of all I found an Australian coat of arms wreath buckle tongue. Detector used GPX - 4500 with a 12 by 7 monocoil.

Thanks for viewing

TP

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 2.png
    2.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 280
  • 3.png
    3.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 4.png
    4.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 5.png
    5.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 69
Beautiful finds old mate, i'll be around Ballarat in Vic for a hunt in April , i'll be happy if i can scare up a couple of nice coins or relics

Hi Wrecka, Merry Xmas Google Images Swagman Trees Do some research on them and learn 'The Code of The Road. Then try metaldetecing them. You will find some silvers. No one else mds. There must be 1000.s. There is even sites to found in our best known folk songs ' Once Jolly Wrecka metaldetected under the shade of a Swagman Tree . TP

Hi , The chain and holder are gold too .Anyway my wife now claimed it and as I speak she fixing the broken chain linkage . Good now I can refund on her xmas gift . lol TP
Yeap, I knew the chain was gold, I just don't like real coins mounted in that way, thats all.

Wow that sounds like a blast I wasn't into detecting when I lived in AZ wish I was. Detecting the main street of an old ghost town gives me goose bumps. Im a treasure hunter to the bone If I didn't have the Wife and kids I would be treveling and doing what you are. Great finds just the history and story of those finds are awesome. Thanks for sharing Happy Holidays Tommy

Wow, amazing finds! Love that gold coin and chain. Any chance you can get another up close, quality photo? Seems like this could be banner worthy but strangely no talk of it. I think it deserves it!

Wow, amazing finds! Love that gold coin and chain. Any chance you can get another up close, quality photo? Seems like this could be banner worthy but strangely no talk of it. I think it deserves it!
I agree. Its hard to say. Maybe it was the nonchalant way it was presented or the lack of a good clear picture of it by itself. No telling what caused it.

Hi , I did not consider the banner I looking for a much bigger fish than a gold coin .TP

Hi, Silver and Gold Tokens do exist , Finding one is the hard part. This site which I clearing is going to be best chance .Rare is very powerful word TP

Congrats on some great finds Tinpan. Relics and a gold coin ! It doesn't get any better than that.

Tinpan Congratulations om great finds and a nice story we thank you . BUT you forgot to post the GPS COORDINATES to the TOWN LOL Merry Christmas Sir !!!

Tinpan Congratulations om great finds and a nice story we thank you . BUT you forgot to post the GPS COORDINATES to the TOWN LOL Merry Christmas Sir !!!

Hi . So if on January 7 1976 you could here ACDC you would with in 5 miles . TP

Congrats on some great finds Tinpan. Relics and a gold coin ! It doesn't get any better than that.

Hi , 1852 Adelaide one pound sterling Gold Token. 'How Can You Paint A Picture Of A Gold Rush' Henry Lawson Poet Tp

Great finds,congratulations! That gold coin is a beauty!

Thank you all for your replies TP

Merry Xmas to you as well mate , thanks for the tip on Swaggie trees. I do have a good area planned to detect , my inlaws live in a little town Sth of Ballarat , the father inlaw runs the golf course that just so happens to be built on top of the original race course that ran from 1870's to 1930's , never been detected :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back