Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the mood to try and find something old (old here is maybe 100 years or less) so I headed to an old dump. I've hunted this place many times before and good signals were getting scarce, but with the rain the last few days I figured I could max out the recovery speed and still get a little depth. I definitely got more good tones than the last few times there.
IMG_6510.jpg

I'm always keeping my eyeballs peeled for marbles, buttons, bottles and such. I spotted this little porcelain doggie face between some rocks. My find of the day!
IMG_6518.jpg

As soon as I picked him up I thought of this image I saw online awhile back:
IMG_8386.jpg

This compact opened easily and although broken, still had the mirror glass inside.
IMG_6511.jpg

IMG_6512.jpg

I thought this toy bullet cartridge was kind of cool and have never seen the likes. It's copper and is hollow all the way to the tip of the "bullet".
IMG_6515.jpg

IMG_6516.jpg

Here's a different looking belt buckle. Can't quite make out the embossing on the back.
IMG_6513.jpg

IMG_6514.jpg

An aluminum "True Blue" button.
IMG_6520.jpg

And some kinda strange machinery part made of brass. Maybe a cam follower for something? :dontknow:
IMG_6517.jpg

No coins this time, but it was good to get out and dig some things and be outside.
Thanks for lookin'!

Upvote 22
Nice assortment of finds. Congrats
The Dog is a keeper for sure.
Not sure on the diameter of the bullet.
First thought was a bullet lighter.
2nd was an older version of this.
Screenshot_20240209_190057_Google.jpg

Nice assortment of finds. Congrats
The Dog is a keeper for sure.
Not sure on the diameter of the bullet.
First thought was a bullet lighter.
2nd was an older version of this.
View attachment 2130519
It's about the size of a .25 rimfire cartridge, way too small for a lipstick.

I do believe the "bullet" is a toy bullet. Back in the day, in a manner of speaking, kids could buy toy guns and holsters, Western style, and load the chambers with these toy bullets. I have detected two of them. I like to think Roy Rodgers, Hop-a-long Cassidy two gun outfits. They were pretty neat.

I like the little porcelain dog. I'm pretty sure your 'toy bullet' is the end of a vintage bullet pencil. They were very popular advertising give away items in the 1920's through 40's

I like the little porcelain dog. I'm pretty sure your 'toy bullet' is the end of a vintage bullet pencil. They were very popular advertising give away items in the 1920's through 40's
You know, I can go with what you said about the "Toy" bullet being a vintage bullet pencil, I myself was not aware of them, tried one on a pencil, fit perfect. Oh well, the 20 & 40's was before my time. But we did have toy bullets to load into our 6 shooters, just not like what was shown. OK then, bullet pencil it is. Added note; that photo of the pup on the curb, broke my heart.

Congratulations on another good outing ..
Nice recoveries

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back