Did I Find A Litlle Something In My Back Yard ?

prophet

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All!
I was doing a little digging in the back yard which is about 80% white quartz.
I live right along Rock creek in Maryland.
It Looks Like Gold To Me!
But I would like to get an expert opinion.

I wish the pictures were better but this is what I got. P1020217 - Copy.JPGP1020218 - Copy.JPGP1020223 - Copy.JPGP1020224 - Copy.JPG

Upvote 0
Nice looking stone, not sure if it's gold or pyright.:icon_thumleft:

The color is not bad, but I do "think" it is just stain (seen it before). One sure and easy test is just to smash a piece with a hammer...gold will not break, only flatten out, and that is the only test you need to prove it is, or isn't.

IS gold known in your area ? if so keep picking up the quartz.

i agree, smack it with a hammer and chisel along the edge of one of the gold areas, let us know!

I'd sure like to see some pictures in a natural light - outside - looks really good to me ! Argentium.

Thanks All
Great advice!
I will try the hammer test in a couple of places and see what happens.

Last edited:
I'd sure like to see some pictures in a natural light - outside - looks really good to me ! Argentium.
P1020294 - Copy.JPGP1020301 - Copy.JPGP1020302 - Copy.JPGP1020304 - Copy.JPG

The color is not bad, but I do "think" it is just stain (seen it before). One sure and easy test is just to smash a piece with a hammer...gold will not break, only flatten out, and that is the only test you need to prove it is, or isn't.
I will try the test in a few spots and see what happens.
IS gold known in your area ? if so keep picking up the quartz.
Yes! This area is known for its old gold mines.
Most of the quartz is pure white, with some looking like this piece.

Thank you for the new pics outside ! I have to admit I'm not as certain of it being gold now , as I no longer am seeing what I
thought was yellow metal - It may well be gold bearing regardless of what I'm seeing ! Argentium.

wow! still a nice find .. hope it turns out to be gold .. gold is usually found with Quartz rock .. good luck and keep us posted!:icon_thumleft:

Well! The hammer test shows this to be pyrite!
I want to thank you all for the great tips, and I will keep digging through the quartz.
Hey you never know!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back