Diamond in the rough?

AnnaMountain

Dec 10, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found this when classifying material in a stream... - specific gravity seems right, hardness seems right, color/hue and translucency seems right - but figured others out there may have found a few diamonds in the rough?

Let me know what you think 🤔

D02994B8-F035-4996-89DF-955A57FA893A.jpeg

2516FF52-5BA7-4C3D-8DD7-DC446E2B02EF.jpeg

No way to tell from your photos. Water will not cling to a diamond, so run it under water. If it's still dry, maybe. It is huge for a diamond, so my guess would be agate or perhaps topaz. Sapphires as you know are found in the mountain west, but again, that's a large example. Good luck.

As a disclaimer, I have never found a diamond, but have some knowledge in colored stones.

Upvote 0
Yea, when I run it under water it dries very quickly. I bought a diamond tester last year because my kids kept thinking they were finding diamonds, and it definitely likes the stone...however the settings on it are sensitive and I don’t feel confident I’m doing everything correctly to test it :(

Upvote 0
I don't know, but in the 1980s I lived walking distance to the Arkansas river and I would pan it all the time. I found a stone I thought was a diamond and had a jeweler test it and he said I found a diamond. It was larger than a BB, but the color was exactly the same as that stone in your fingers. There was a particular pale green clay layer within the gravel and I wash that down and that's where I believe the diamond I found came from. I don't know what I did with the one I found, but I believe there's diamonds in the Arkansas River.

Upvote 0
How did you test for hardness and what did you get for SG?

Upvote 0
Attempting to find a jeweler close by to take it to today, will let you guys know :)

Upvote 0
Is the rock an octahedron or does it have a six-sided geometry? If six-sided, not likely a diamond. Looks good, though ... I hope it is one.

Upvote 0
Hope you get lucky.:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Didn’t get a chance to take it in yesterday, shooting for today :). Shape is hard to determine as it’s not the same all the way around! But it appears to be more 4 sided than 6 sided. The difference I’m seeing between it and other genres like Topaz is the translucence/clarity factor - but I’m an amateur with gems.

Crazy thing is I was panning for gold and had literally just setup everything - nugget bucket, classifiers, etc. I take one shovel full, put it in the top classifier, pour in some water - and instantly that popped out at me. Panned for another 3-4 hours, found nothing :)

Upvote 0
tamrock... That pale green Clay layer was likely eroded Kimberlite from a Kimberlite (Volcanic) Pipe which contained/contains Diamonds.
That's what my research lead me to believe. When I dug into that layer I first thought that gold may have been trapped in it. It took a long time to mash that clay down and wash out what was in it. It had very little fragments of any courser material within it and none of it was gold. It had this one worn down octahederon clear brownish crystal in the pan and the jeweler used a heat tester on it. I can't find that little stone these days as it was in the mid 1980s I found it, but I do remember the location of that layer of clay.

Upvote 0
Got it checked out by a jeweler yesterday - - he couldn’t tell me what it was. Said he had seen quite a few things over the years, but couldn’t pinpoint that one. Tried the diamond tester and it said it wasn’t a diamond - but it was the same tester as mine and it didn’t seem like he let it warm up or set it to the right temperature, hehe :) - so I’m taking it out with me this weekend to my property and going to have some of the old time miners check it out.

Ack!

Upvote 0
If you get a chance have someone at the hospital or outpatient clinic X ray it. A real diamond doesn't show up at all on X ray due to the perfect (or near pefect) alignment of the carbon atoms. The ladies always bring me their rocks when the men propose to them to make sure its the real deal. X ray doesn't lie, its the gold standard for diamond testing in South Africa and worldwide. You probably have to have an "in" but i love doing non destructive testing of artifacts and "diamonds" for fun for friends.

Upvote 0
Got it checked out by a jeweler yesterday - - he couldn’t tell me what it was. Said he had seen quite a few things over the years, but couldn’t pinpoint that one. Tried the diamond tester and it said it wasn’t a diamond - but it was the same tester as mine and it didn’t seem like he let it warm up or set it to the right temperature, hehe :) - so I’m taking it out with me this weekend to my property and going to have some of the old time miners check it out.

Ack!

A diamond tester works by heat to test the thermal conductivity of the stone, if diamond tester said not a diamond it isn't a raw diamond.

"A diamond tester will detect the rate at which heat moves through the stone and will tell you whether it is a real diamond. There are also testers that use electrical conductivity to test stones – they are based on a similar principle, but they use electricity instead of heat."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ack!

A raw uncut Diamond almost always has a sheen to the outside which looks very similar to the non-shiny side of Aluminum Foil. If you spray glass with Satin Clearcoat, that is the look you are looking for.

raw uncut diamond.jpg

Upvote 0
I remember one very important thing about the large diamond I gave away in Reno...It appeared greasy or oily on one side...I don't know IF this helps but IF you put it in your mouth it will feel cold like ice...Maybe that is why some people call diamonds ice...Who is to say...I wish you luck...

Maybe one day I'll make my way back to Reno to search for diamond...Only time will tell...

Ed T

Upvote 0
I'll lay my Guess at Yellow topaz, there is a lot of it in Colorado, look on youtube and find the crystal/gemstone miners/collectors.

IF you fire coat the stone and put heat to it until it glows red and remove heat it should not be bothered, fire coat is boric acid and alcohol and keeps the Black from the torch off metal and stones like diamonds that handle heat well, corundum as Blue sapphire or ruby also takes heat fairly well.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back