Detecting in Hawaii

You should probably mention what island you are going to be on.. it may make a difference.
Do a google "Metal Detecting Rules Hawaii"
Here are the rules for state parks..
http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/parkrules/

Last edited:
As airscapes has noted: There is no restriction on State park beaches there. And I've never heard of any issues on other enties (city, state, etc...) beaches either. So you're good to go. Detectors are a common site on all the beaches there.

The only exception would be Hanauma Bay. *Not* because of any aversion to detecting, per say. But simply because it's a nature preserve type of thing. So that ... you know, you're not supposed to "disturb" the ground, sand, critters, etc..... And ... heaven help us if you snorkled around "stirring up sand" to disturb those poor little sea creatures, eh ?

You should probably mention what island you are going to be on.. it may make a difference.
Do a google "Metal Detecting Rules Hawaii"
Here are the rules for state parks..
Hawaii State Parks > Park Rules

Should have titled this as "on Hawaii" instead of "in Hawaii" well be on the big island in the Kona area

As airscapes has noted: There is no restriction on State park beaches there. And I've never heard of any issues on other enties (city, state, etc...) beaches either. So you're good to go. Detectors are a common site on all the beaches there.

The only exception would be Hanauma Bay. *Not* because of any aversion to detecting, per say. But simply because it's a nature preserve type of thing. So that ... you know, you're not supposed to "disturb" the ground, sand, critters, etc..... And ... heaven help us if you snorkled around "stirring up sand" to disturb those poor little sea creatures, eh ?

sounds good. thanks. am looking forward to a few days of nothing much to do except site see and beach hunt

The last time I was at Hanauma Bay a few years ago, there was a guy detecting the beach. I talked with him a bit about it. He was a local and said it wasn't a problem in the dry sand. Has the rule changed? :dontknow: I wasn't detecting but snorkling instead. Turns out I found more money than the guy detecting! After a couple of hours, he only had a little over $2 and I had found $8 in paper money floating out in the bay! :laughing7:

Not sure about Kona, but on Oahu beaches your only restriction is that you don't hit another detectorist with your coil!! 8-):tongue3:

The last time I was at Hanauma Bay a few years ago, there was a guy detecting the beach. I talked with him a bit about it. He was a local and said it wasn't a problem in the dry sand. Has the rule changed? ....

You might be right. The supposed restriction might only apply to under the water. Because obviously that's an "undersea marvel" nature-preserve thing.

So I would run with what you're saying, and not go "seek clarification" from anyone. Because if that fellow is doing it and no one seems to care less, well, ... why argue with that? Go for it :)

You might be right. The supposed restriction might only apply to under the water. Because obviously that's an "undersea marvel" nature-preserve thing.

So I would run with what you're saying, and not go "seek clarification" from anyone. Because if that fellow is doing it and no one seems to care less, well, ... why argue with that? Go for it :)

my feelings exactly.

thanks for all of the information and feedback

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back