Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was invited to detect on an archaological excavation our archies are working on. Its close to a roman site and to an early medieval site, both were studied before with some nice finds. This time not much was expected and they were right.

General view of the site
24404712gy.jpg

Loads of British incendiary bombs turned up, only the massive tops are left after they burned down
24404714sc.jpg

Pottery was picked up and mapped
Roman
24404716zj.jpg

Medieval
24404717gk.jpg

Prehistoric
24404719aw.jpg

Some modern finds
24404720id.jpg

24404721jx.jpg

24404722na.jpg

Roman
24404723sw.jpg

Another coin weight?
24404724bu.jpg

Finally a picture how a Roman cremation grave looks. The dark square in the middle of the pic with some pieces of charcoal visible.
24404715np.jpg

Upvote 11
Nice. I'm curious, did you dig your targets or did you just flag the beeps for them to dig later?

Nice. I'm curious, did you dig your targets or did you just flag the beeps for them to dig later?

All detecting was done in plowed soil, not in the excavated areas. So i dug all and flagged the roman/medieval finds. They were GPSed by the surveyor later. Signals in the ditches just get a marker like the one in the last pic and are left to the archies. I also took all stuff home to clean and bring it in tomorrow.

Thought that maybe you are their sacrificial lamb, detecting for metal when you may find un-exploded ordinance or mines. be careful...

Thought that maybe you are their sacrificial lamb, detecting for metal when you may find un-exploded ordinance or mines. be careful...

Could be.... :icon_scratch:

I live in a battlefield, so i'm not easy scared. Stumbling over uxo is quite common here. Bomb squad is just a phone call away. :thumbsup:

that would be fun those archie chicks are hot

Yes coin weight. Also good to keep up the relationship - well done

Good to see you're getting out Lu. Keep them Arkies happy, never know when you might need a friend. Good luck.

Yes coin weight. Also good to keep up the relationship - well done

It becomes better and better with them every year. :thumbsup:

Good to see you're getting out Lu. Keep them Arkies happy, never know when you might need a friend. Good luck.

Made some friends there already, Tim. Working with the archies in the field is easy and often fun. Problems start the higher they get in the command structure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back